Mail boxes

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
Rico800

Mail boxes

Post by Rico800 »

Hi, I have just changed from Eudora, which I have used for years, to Thunderbird. I would like to know if the following features are available on Thunderbird and where can I find them.
In Eudora under Tools>options>EXTRAS>Mailboxes tab there are the following options among others:

Automatically open mailboxes that receive new unread messages
Italicize messages sent by me
Open mailboxes in tabs
Etc.

I would like my received messages mailboxes to open automatically so I don't have to go searching through my list of mailboxes to see what messages have arrived. Is this available, plus Italizise messages sent by me.

Thanks,
DanRaisch

Re: Mail boxes

Post by DanRaisch »

Automatically open mailboxes that receive new unread messages
There is no provision in Thunderbird to automatically open a folder that has received new messages. You can use menu path View->Folders->Unread to cause Thunderbird to display only those folder which contain unread messages.
Italicize messages sent by me
Where would those messages (sent by you) appear? In the Inbox or in the Sent folder?
Open mailboxes in tabs
You can right click on the name of the account in the left hand pane of the main Thunderbird window and select "Open in new tab" or "Open in new window".
Rico800

Post by Rico800 »

Hi DanRaisch,
Thanks for your answer.

Automatically open mailboxes that receive new unread message: I have gone through with what you have mentioned, it's a solution but not what I thought, unfortunate that Thunderbird can't open a new tab on the top bar, like open mailboxes in tabs, when you receive a new message. Maybe something
the Gurus can work on.

Italicize messages sent by me: The messages in italics would be when I reply to a message that I have received in the inbox or one of the mailboxes. The reply or copy to that message would stay in the inbox or mailbox. It wouldn't be in the sent folder.

Thanks for your help,
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Rico800 wrote:...

Italicize messages sent by me: The messages in italics would be when I reply to a message that I have received in the inbox or one of the mailboxes. The reply or copy to that message would stay in the inbox or mailbox. It wouldn't be in the sent folder.
Menu Path:
  • [If running on Windows or OSX]: Tools | Account Settings, or
    [If running on Linux]: Edit | Account Settings
    .. then, in the left pane, under the account name, Copies & Folders
Then, in the right pane:
[√] Place replies in the folder of the message being replied to.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Then, in the right pane:
[√] Place replies in the folder of the message being replied to.
That will place the replies in the same folder as the message being replied to but won't italicize those replies. You can, however, run a filter on the folder to have it tag messages sent from your email address so they show up distinctly.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Filters_%28Thunderbird%29
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Tags
Maybe something the Gurus can work on.
Doubtful. There doesn't seem to be much call for that function. We've had a good number of former Eudora users posting with questions but I don't recall that feature being mentioned/requested in the past.
Rico800

Post by Rico800 »

Thanks for your answers, doesn't look that I can do much more than I have already done. Thanks again.