Secondary Address Book for Texting

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
KenF

Secondary Address Book for Texting

Post by KenF »

An email is a great way to inform friends and acquaintances of things like a change of address, phone #, etc. Simply make a temporarily address list of the people you want to inform, compose your message and send it to the list.

HOWEVER, the World is changing and MANY people no longer check their emails! So we need to text them now. I can set up a temporary address list in TB but I cannot "detach" it from the main list; so if I change the email address to their text gateway I have lost their email address!! I can set up an "Alternate" email address but I don't know how to use that in sending my msg.

I don't want to TXT from my phone because I have a limit. Also note that it is "a procedure" to lookup the carrier and msg gateway for each of my contacts so I REALLY need to store them somewhere!!!

WOULDN'T THIS BE A USEFUL FEATURE TO ADD TO THUNDERBIRD? Or maybe there is a work-around?
Ken Franks
Calgary, Alberta
CANADA
DanRaisch

Re: Secondary Address Book for Texting

Post by DanRaisch »

[quote]Or maybe there is a work-around?/quote]
Not so much a work around but simply making use of Thunderbird functionality you have not yet considered. Create a new address book in Thunderbird. Menu path Tools->Address Book->File->New->Address Book. Select the address book that contains the names you want to send your change of address message to, using Ctrl+click to select multiple contacts. Hold down the Ctrl key and drag and drop the selected contact records onto the name of the new address book in the left hand pane of the address book window. They will be separate from the records in the original address book.Edit those contact in the NEW address book to have the text gateway address.
KenF

Post by KenF »

OKAY, yes, I hadn't seen that! I had tried creating a new folder within Address Book but this is different and I am glad I asked. As you can see, I am a long time user of TB so I'm very pleased that I don't have to use Opera or something else different.

Thanks for your quick response.
Ken Franks
Calgary, Alberta
CANADA
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.