Possible to filter folders other than Inbox?

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
Cten

Possible to filter folders other than Inbox?

Post by Cten »

I find Thunderbird Meesage Filters to be well-implemented, and critical for organizing the mail flood.

One useful (to me, at least) function the current system apparently does not offer is a combination of AND and OR Boolean functions. Example:

- All incoming messages from ListservABC are sent to folder ABC on receipt. This clears the Inbox, and I can review them later.

- A rare few of these messages need immediate attention. An ideal filter would be something like:

If "from" includes "XYZ" AND (body contains "term1" OR "term2" OR "term3") move to folder "Special" and tag "urgent."

Unless that can be done directly (how, please?) or via small code edits (how, please?), is there a workaround? For example, is there a way to re-filter incoming messages *after* an existing filter sends them to a folder?

It is, of course, possible to do this with the Search Messages function, but it's a lot of fiddling to do several times per hour.

Thanks for any ideas.
DanRaisch

Re: Possible to filter folders other than Inbox?

Post by DanRaisch »

Perhaps changing the process order and using multiple filters would accomplish what you want.
Filter 1: "From" contains "XYZ" + (Body contains "term1" move to folder "Special" and tag "urgent."
Filter 2: "From" contains "XYZ" + (Body contains "term2" move to folder "Special" and tag "urgent."
Filter 3: "From"contains "XYZ" + (Body contains "term3") move to folder "Special" and tag "urgent."
Filter 4: From is ListservABC move to folder ABC.

It might need some testing but seems a likely solution.
Cten

Post by Cten »

DanRaisch wrote:Perhaps changing the process order and using multiple filters would accomplish what you want. ... It might need some testing but seems a likely solution.
Thanks, DanRaisch. And apologies for leaving that solution out of the OP. I actually did do that for one listserv, and it works fine - so your advice is typically excellent!

Issue for me is that I would like to do with with multiple mailing lists, need 5-7 such filters per list, and already have a couple of dozen filters active. So it's a fine solution; just takes up a lot of space and a while to set up. But if nothing more compact/efficient emerges, I will indeed do that for all of them.

Again, thanks!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You’re welcome.