automatic deletion of mail on server

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy Oliy,

from what i can see, the bug hasn't been assigned at all. we are talking about bug # 2226839 aren't we?

take care,
lee

-edit
never mind! [*blush*] i finally looked as saw this ...
" Assigned To: David Bienvenu [email address removed]"

lee-
Last edited by Lee_Dailey on May 7th, 2006, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oliy

Post by Oliy »

Hi Lee,

Yes, that is the bug. From the page I was looking at it appears to be assigned to David Bienvenu but people have mentioned that he has been inactive for a long time.

For users who use Thunderbird to retrieve their email on two or more devices, this is an essential feature and I just wanted to make sure that it didn't descend into obscurity.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy Oliy,

i understand ... a _very_ occasional "bump" to bring the thread to the current page and a reminder to vote for the rfe if it concerns one is pro'ly a good idea. [*grin*]

take care,
lee
Nicoline

Allow online access...

Post by Nicoline »

Totally new to Thunderbird, I was looking for a way to manage my mailserver like I do in Outlook: "Allow online access" - and found this thread. I check my mail from several computers and find it very helpful being able to leave all messages on the server, until I decide to delete them - using the online access to my mailserver.

Is this possible in Thunderbird?

Nicoline
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy Nicoline,

did you read this thread? it's mentioned more than once ... [*grin*] the problem is the combo that is used - "delete OR move from inbox" - whdn a more useful choice would be two separate check boxes.

take care,
lee
Nicoline

Automatic deletion of mail on server

Post by Nicoline »

Hi Lee,

Yes, I did read the thread and did understand the problems with the combo checkbox. But I thought that people discussing the need of two separate check boxes - to solve their problems when checking mail in multiple locations - might be the right people to ask about the "online access"-option... Since the online access option in my view is the perfect way to control when to delete mails on the server....

I can check mail at work, delete all work-related mails on the server, but leave them in my inbox; leave private mails on the server, but delete them from my inbox. Then check mail when I get home and be sure that any important private mail is also available on my home computer. But you are right, it has nothing to do with this topic "Automatic deletion of mail on server" - on the contrary its manual deletion - but it gives you full control ;0)

Unfortunately, without online access Thunderbird is no-go for me. I was looking forward to try something new and unMicrosoft on my new g5 - but instead of Thunderbird I will have to do with Apples "Mail"-application. If the online access one day is included in Thunderbird, I would definitely give it a new shot...
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy Nicoline,

ah! now i understand a bit. [*grin*]

your feature is different fro those discussed here, but it _does_ fit the idea involved pretty well. the term you use - online access - is severely confusing, tho. [*grin*] to _me_ online access is more likely to mean webmail or even the simple ability to connect to the server. the term is far too general for me to find useful in the context of email.

the idea, tho, is useful. others ahve asked for a way to leave msgs on the server until explicitly deleted. right now tbird has no way to dl a msg and then delete it on the server with a command.

take care,
lee
Nicoline

Online access

Post by Nicoline »

Dear Lee,

Just to clear up your confusion concerning the term "online access" in a mail context: In Outlook Express/Entourage there is a check box "Enable online access". In Microsoft's own words checking it does this: ""Allow online access" displays an account in the Folders list and allows you to read messages from this account without moving or copying them to this computer. Very similar to an IMAP account." (but more importantly it allows you to delete selected mails)

Apples "Mail"-application has a similar option - just they call it "Account info" - that allows you to manage mails on the mail server. Very useful - if there is more than one computer in your life ;0)
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy Nicoline,

yes, that _is_ very useful ... and tbird doesn't do it. can't find anything in bugzilla that seems to fit, either. if you have some links documenting the way oe and mail.app do this, then you might want to open a new thread on the subject to get some attention for the idea.

take care,
lee