Mac OS X Address Book support coming in 3.0

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Actually, the global option is still available, just hidden.

You can find it in the advanced configuration editor. It's this preference, I believe:
mailnews.message_display.disable_remote_image <change> Options -> Advanced -> General. The Config Editor button.

One other note. When you allow remote images for an address to be always displayed, you can turn them off again by finding that address in your contacts (address book). There's a checkbox for "Allow remote images in HTML mail" on the Contacts tab.

(thanks to smsmith)
mtbgtr

Post by mtbgtr »

I am not sure if this is relevant but has anyone looked into how Correo handles OSX addressbook integration to see if anything there could apply?
bslade

Post by bslade »

Re: global option is still available...

Sorry, this is a *different* function to display all remote images in emails being read. This is a more dangerous option.

I'm talking about only displaying images in emails *if* the sender is in my address book (or with Thunderbird 2.0+, if the address book entry has "Allow remote images in HTML mail" for the address book entry matching the sender of the email)

Ben Slade
Chevy Chase, MD
jwalzer50

Build that accesses Mac AB

Post by jwalzer50 »

I have been using TB 2.0.0.6 that enables using the Mac AB. I would like to switch to the one that was posted at this site: http://www.mininova.org/tor/830910, but Mininova says it doesn't exist. Does anyone know of (in order of preference)
- A more recent build that incorporates Mac AB as well as Spotlight?
- The tor/830910 build that is accessible without using BitTorrent?
- How to get access to this torrent?
mgifford

Unofficial builds not keeping up with releases

Post by mgifford »

KAMiKAZOW wrote:Well, yeah... but whatever. We have Spotlight support allready in 2.0 (allthough disabled by default, but enabled in the build I posted above) and we have Address Book support in unofficial builds. That's enough for me.

Well, the first post from six months ago is now 6 releases behind. This is a pretty critical part of getting Mac users to switch from using Mail.app. Integration with the Address book is pretty central to how anything is done on a Mac. Having a forked path for functionality like this is only useful if it is going to be maintained. I don't know what changes have occurred in the last six releases that are security releases.

I do have real concerns when the Mozilla forums are suggesting that the community just download a torrent (from just anyone) posted to this forum. If folks are going to submit altered builds (like the one that started this thread), there should really be some way to at least know the builds are being done by someone who does know what they are doing and aren't trying to hack your system.
vincentkeunen

Post by vincentkeunen »

I agree! Please keep local OS support in the main development trunk as much as possible. I use TB on a Mac but integration with the address book is really missing... Thanks for all the good work that has already been done; keep pushing the envelope of the best (and soon most integrated) mail client! :-)
spidersilk

Post by spidersilk »

I've been looking for something like this for a while, and just downloaded the disk image file, but I have a few concerns before installing it - one is the security issue mentioned by others. How dangerous is it to be stuck off on a side version of the program that doesn't get the security upgrades that the main version does?

The other is what happens to my current Thunderbird address book. When I initially switched from Entourage to TB (around six months ago or so), I was able to export my address book from Entourage and import it first into the OS X Address Book and then, once I realized Thunderbird didn't support that (highly annoying since it was one of my reasons for ditching Entourage!), into the TB address book. But I'm not sure if there's any good way to export my contacts from the TB address book into the OS X one before switching to this version... Thunderbird doesn't seem to have any sort of export functionality available, and I don't want to lose the contacts that have been added since I switched.
vincentkeunen

Post by vincentkeunen »

TB does have an export feature: look into the Tools menu... You even have several formats supported (you may have to select the contacts (maybe all) that you want to export.
JEH

Mac Address Book integration

Post by JEH »

I have been following this thread for quite a while, but not being a developer, I can't necessarily follow all of the technical arcana. As a user, I would REALLY like to integrate my OSX Address Book into TB, most importantly so I could use .Mac sync to make the same information available on all of my many machines.

What is the current status of this effort in the 2.x branch? I am on 2.0.0.14 and OSX 10.5.3, and in the Preferences/General/Config editor path there seems to be no way to add new preferences such as those cited in earlier posts. Can someone who understands all of this please post a "cookbook" for us user types, to get this facility activated?

Thanks

JEH
gracestanat

Re: Mac OS X Address Book support coming in 3.0

Post by gracestanat »

well... it's October now. :( just wondering if we really are ever going to get integration with the Mac Address Book or if we're better off trying to sync using Plaxo or a third-party ldap server. It'd be great to get a straight answer to this question, which seems to be on the minds of thousands of users.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Did you read the first post in this topic stating that it's coming in version 3.0 of Thunderbird? Have you been following where that version stands? It is in testing and it wasn't expected until late this year at the earliest. I wouldn't expect full release until the first quarter of next year.
gracestanat

Post by gracestanat »

yes, but I've read a lot of conflicting information about unsupported branches, older versions, etc. I just wasn't sure what information is accurate. if it REALLY is coming in TB 3.0 then I can wait until then. :)
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

You could ask in the Thunderbird Builds forum.
JEH

Post by JEH »

I LOVE your picture of the black cat with the hearts, but that's a subject for a different discussion... I solved my near-term problem by going back to Mac Mail, but I wish the TB folks could get this sorted out.

JEH