Hide Local Folder Edit Mail

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
noxx

Hide Local Folder Edit Mail

Post by noxx »

It would be really nice to have the possibility to hide the Local Folders.
If you use an IMAP for your mail it's just anoying to also have a Local Folders that just sits there using up the space on your screen.

Another nice option would be able to edit mail in every folder not just drafts, so you can change the topic to keep an order in your inbox, if the original topic wasn't meaningfull.

THX for the good work so far.
Chris Cook

Re: Hide Local Folder Edit Mail

Post by Chris Cook »

noxx wrote:Another nice option would be able to edit mail in every folder not just drafts, so you can change the topic to keep an order in your inbox, if the original topic wasn't meaningfull.

I would imagine that editing the subject (or any other text) of a sent/received email is not desirable. You may edit emails in your drafts folder because they have not been sent yet. Is there any mail app that lets you modify sent emails?
noxx

Edit Mail

Post by noxx »

Where I work we use Lotus Notes. It lets you edit mails you recieved and the ones you send, that makes organising your mails much easier, cause you can label them or add a speaking topic to the ones that don't have one, or just have a crapy one like urgent or something.
bomfog

Post by bomfog »

Chris Cook wrote:I would imagine that editing the subject (or any other text) of a sent/received email is not desirable. You may edit emails in your drafts folder because they have not been sent yet. Is there any mail app that lets you modify sent emails?

Mutt lets me edit any message I've got a copy of. Good for editing down huge emails with very little content, fixing busted
Reference: lines 'n stuff so threading works, adding notes, deleting huge masses of forwarding headers, etc..

The good thing about the mbox format (for me, anyway) is that the mail is in a plain-text file, so you can just fire up a
text editor and change whatever you want, whether your MUA supports direct editing or not. Might be a good idea to back up the
file first, of course.
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

noxx wrote:It would be really nice to have the possibility to hide the Local Folders.
If you use an IMAP for your mail it's just anoying to also have a Local Folders that just sits there using up the space on your screen.

I second that. My mom is a computer novice. I think Minotaur is something she might like, but I'm afraid that she might get confused by the unnecessary folders.
Manuel

Post by Manuel »

Hi,
Chris Cook wrote:Is there any mail app that lets you modify sent emails?

At work I have to use M$ Outlook (we have an Exchange Server). I have to say, that I hate this App (it's to big, to slow and has all I don't like with Microsoft in one App).
But there are some (not many ;-) ) nice features in it, that help ease the daily work. And editing of eMail is one of this features, because it's much easier to sort all the incoming mails - and very important: you can add information, which the sender has forgotten to add, but which are important for the work.

I would also double this request and now i'm going for a little Bugzilla-Search, if there is already a Bug filed on this.

<b>/edit:</b> I found a bug, that deals with changing the subject: <a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=91106" target="_blank" title="[RFE] Change subject feature">Bug 91106</a>.

HTH and CU
Manuel
bjobr

Post by bjobr »

Neil Parks wrote:
noxx wrote:It would be really nice to have the possibility to hide the Local Folders.

I second that. My mom is a computer novice. I think Minotaur is something she might like, but I'm afraid that she might get confused by the unnecessary folders.

I third that! =)
Björn
rubbercow

Useless folders!

Post by rubbercow »

This is the first time I've successfully migrated from Netscape Mail 4.7 (Communicator). I just prefer the client, especially over Outlook. Thanks for the superb effort and similar interface.

However, in NSMail you had the ability to point <b>Drafts</b> and <b>Templates</b> to Trash and delete them completely. I have absolutely no use for the folders, and they're annoying as I have to scroll to reach my other user-created folders. I've searched the configs and tried to find further information for a possible setting in prefs.js, but it simply isnt available.

When can we expect the ability to nuke the bloody useless folders (including the local mail tree)? Especially since I can already delete News which is also a default.

*cough* spellchecker. :)