Multiple accounts feature request

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
Aragorn992

Multiple accounts feature request

Post by Aragorn992 »

In Minotaur when you add multiple mail accounts it adds folders specifically for that account down the left bar. Id like to be able to add multiple accounts and have shared folders (inbox, outbox, etc) just like Outlook Express. Its annoying to use multiple accounts and have to browse through multiple inbox folders to find new mail and it makes orgainizing mail a pain.

I looked and could not find an option to direct all mail to the local folders, there were options to direct some folders mail to the local folders however.

Im guessing this would not be difficult to implement, something along the lines of if "Direct all mail to local folders" = on, then when doing anything to any message always use the local folder as a reference and ignore account folders.
ccoma

Post by ccoma »

I DEFINITELY second this request !!!
It is the only issue that prevented me to switch from OE (shame on me) to mozilla-mail or another mail-prog.
bh

Post by bh »

exactly the same for me ... this the only feature i'm missing .... actually ;-)
David James

Post by David James »

You can more-or-less. You just have to create an appropriate filter for each account. Let's assume that you want all your mail in Local Folders. Let's also assume that your first email account is someuser@myisp.com.

1. Click on the root folder for that account on the left (by default it would be called someuser@myisp.com).
2. Click on "Create message filters" in the panel in the main area
3. Click on "New" on the dialog pop-up
4. Give the filter any name you please (say, someuser)
5. In the first drop down box, select "To or cc"
6. In the second, select "is"
7. In the third, enter "someuser@myisp.com"
8. Under "Perform these actions", select "Move to folder" and choose the folder 'Inbox' under Local Folders.
9. Click Ok
10. Make sure the filter name has a check mark to the right of it under "Enabled" before closing the dialog pop-up.

Note that this will not catch messages that have been BCCed to you, like mailing lists, but you can create filters for those as well on the mailing list post address (and you'll probably want to steer them to separate folders anyway). Most other BCCed messages that you can't filter on (such as those without a known sender) are probably spam anyway and the junk filters will usually hit them. But it does mean you'll still occasionally have mail ending up in your account inboxes.
Pinball-Firefox maintainer.
http://david.jamesnet.ca/
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3
Aragorn992

Post by Aragorn992 »

Cheers that worked :)
bh

Post by bh »

well, that's right... but...

the little icon that shows you that new mail has arrived will be there until you've clicked on the inbox-folder
for the specific account. that would not be that problem ... but
the little tray-icon that indicates new mail will stay until you've checked the inbox-folder... so you have to
check the account-inbox folder to get the tray-icon away ....

so - i think it would be nice to have that nice little helpfull feature within one of the next builds of minotaur....
or not? :-)

anyway - nice weekend,
ben
Jubijub

I'm for this as well

Post by Jubijub »

Very well explained...

this would be very a very nice feature, especially if as me, you have 5 mailboxes...in fact, being able to merge the one we want and keep separate the others would be lovely.
labarum

Post by labarum »

Yes please -
Easy to implement Multiple personalities.
Personalities tied to mail folders (I use an IMAP server)
An easy to use SEIVE editor to set up server side filters.

Mulbery all of this but costs money as is unecessarily complicated for me.
Grandpas

Post by Grandpas »

On mozilla mail, I made use of filters (as explained by David) to move messages in a single folder. Just have to select "Get all messages" ant go to this single folder.

However, in Mozilla mail there was an option to get all messages from all accounts ... this option disappears in Thunderbird .. I have now to check each account individually :-(
(on my opinion, this is a very minor problem)
ishqali

Re: Multiple accounts feature request

Post by ishqali »

Just wanted to say that this is what has kept me from moving to Outlook all these years. I want to keep my mails seperate and i hate they way outlook cannot do that.

However, i do see why some people might need it. I think the best idea would be to to give an option at the time if account set-up which allows people to select Local Mail or a seperate folder for thier mails.

In NS 4.x, i used to make multiple profiles but set the mail folder location same. This way i could download all the mailboxes and they would come into the same inbox. The annoying part was having to switch profiles.
robzilla

Post by robzilla »

I want to keep my mails seperate and i hate they way outlook cannot do that.

In Outlook, can't you can create new mail folders and then use the Rules Wizard to move incoming messages to the appropriate folder based on the recipients email address? Kind of the opposite of the suggestion to move messages from separate folders to one folder using filters in Mozilla Mail.

Also, you can add a column called "Accounts" that will show the name of the mail account that received the message.

Rob
xfranky

Post by xfranky »

Are there any news about multiple-pop-servers-per-profile feature? At the moment I think is the only thing keeping me away from tb...
..::XF::..
bash

Post by bash »

Adding myself to the email notification. THis is one feature that has kept me from switching.
duncan

Post by duncan »

I too would like to be able to have a single combined account.

This is the only thing currently keeping me with outlook, otherwise thunderbird is almost perfect for me (well baring a better theme).
AlexIhrig

Post by AlexIhrig »

It would be usefull to have more controll over multiple SMTP-Servers!

I've more than 10 Mail-Accounts to handle with. There are a few account using the same SMTP-Server, but they need different User-/Password-Settings. Ok, I can create these SMTP-Server-Accounts and configure them with different Settings but after creating them, I can't see which account uses which settings:

- SMTP-Server: mailout.hosteurope.de
User-name: Alex
Password: 12345
- SMTP-Server2: mailout.hosteurope.de
User-name: Bop
Password: xxxxxx
- SMTP-Server3: mailout.hosteurope.de
User-name: Smith
Password: yyyyy

All these SMTP-Accounts are listet as "mailout.hosteurope.de:25". I need the option to define different Accounts and the option to identify these Accounts by an Account-name!