Regarding Mozilla bloat and integration

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
ranman

Regarding Mozilla bloat and integration

Post by ranman »

I would have to agree with not wanting bloat.
I think that users are mistaking compatibility and integration.
It is possible for Minotaur, and Phoenix to work together without being reintegrated together. What is the point in seperating the applications, just to put them back together. Go back to using Microsoft products, if you want all the dependencies. Follow the standard, and create applications, that can work together, no marry each other.
I want the ability to use whatever mail with whatever browser, that I want. Even though I dumped galeon for phoenix, and evolution for Minotaur. That is my choice, and I think that is the heart of the situation. :wink:
cen_sys

Further Separation?

Post by cen_sys »

I also want well defined borders with clear standards for interop. So the question becomes: At what point does it stop? Does each each major feature get spun off to have their own projects? I would love to be able to use the address book independantly of Mozilla/Minotaur. Is there a price to pay for doing that? Is it all about control?
Aqua.

Post by Aqua. »

I think having the major features (such as calendar or address book) would be best spun off into their own projects. This presents maximum flexibility and allows other projects to utilize them.

My philosophy on software design: Do one thing, do it very very well.
cen_sys

Post by cen_sys »

I couldn't agree more. Whenever I try to please everybody, I end up pleasing no one. I believe that if the project is focused on doing one thing, building the best contact manager, it will be sucessfull. So I hope it is spun off in order to obtain that focus.

I have been outlining some of my thoughts on the direction of the address book in <a href="http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8817">Goals for Address Book</a>.
Alex Bishop
mozillaZine Admin

Post by Alex Bishop »

Aqua. wrote:I think having the major features (such as calendar or address book) would be best spun off into their own projects.

The Address Book is currently part of Minotaur/Thunderbird. <a href="http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/">Calendar</a> is a separate project already.
Alex