I'll probably get flamed but I'd like hotmail support

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
Jubijub

I'll probably get flamed but I'd like hotmail support

Post by Jubijub »

As in Outlook ...so I could definitly get rid of outlook and have only one decent mail client...and free

It is possible to implement as some mail client already do it...the trick is that I found no combination of client that would be :
- open-source (for the quickness of bug correction)
- free
- supporting IMAP
- supporting POP3
- supporting hotmail/msn
-secure

-outlook isn't secure, and it's not open-source
- all the others either support IMPA or hotmail/msn, but not the two at the same time...
Fuzzle

Post by Fuzzle »

I second this request. I just got a bundle for Mail.app on OSX that has Hotmail support, and I'm pretty stoked...
David James

Post by David James »

Not flamed, but it would help if you looked up existing topics...

http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8359
Pinball-Firefox maintainer.
http://david.jamesnet.ca/
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3
willll

Post by willll »

also <a href="http://www.boolean.ca/hotpop/">hotmail popper</a>. try out the different programs and see which one works best and is easiest for you
Jubijub

Sorry, but the title isn't very explicit

Post by Jubijub »

of the topic you've given...

-->willll : you prog doesn't work when one's behind a proxy...I've just tested :D...plus I reckon that it's very lousy to use an external program to have certain accounts checked when some mail clients do it all in one...
David James

Post by David James »

Most webmail systems (Yahoo!, Hotmail, Netscape etc) are designed to prevent easy access through the usual pop3 system, so to incorporate the ability to download messages from them you have to do something special for each and every webmail system. It's no surprise that Outlook can access Hotmail, because they're both MS...
What will probably happen is that at some point someone will create webmail-specific extensions to allow access to Yahoo! or Hotmail or whatever so that if you use these webmail systems then you can just install the appropriate extension(s).
Pinball-Firefox maintainer.
http://david.jamesnet.ca/
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3
Jubijub

Post by Jubijub »

fine, as long as it works...I even reckon that a plugin would be better, because as you said it will require frequent updates

PS : nice signature, adam smith rulezz
Grandpas

Post by Grandpas »

http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8359
We find there a program called MrPostman (Java).
I use it for my yahoo pop mail (but hotmail is also implemented). Note that I use also wrapper which allows MrPostman to start as a WinNT service.
Everything is ok and works in complete transparency.

Web2pop (not free) is also known to work. May be used with Firedaemon (run web2pop as a service)
Never tested
Jubijub

Post by Jubijub »

they work if you're behind an HTTP proxy ?
Grandpas

Post by Grandpas »

Jubijub wrote:they work if you're behind an HTTP proxy ?

Don't know.
I'm using an AOL dialup connection with an internet connection sharing (PC1 - MrPostman <=> PC2 - AOL+sharing <=> internet. ICS is not performed by a proxy software but with a NAT.
(I dream or I've already seen you on HFr?)
Jubijub

Post by Jubijub »

Wherever you see Jubijub, it's me...this is the weirdest nickname I came up with, but it has the huge advantage that it's used by no one else but me...which allows me to register everywhere...

Salut Grandpas ;)...
Grandpas

Post by Grandpas »

Jubijub wrote:Wherever you see Jubijub, it's me...this is the weirdest nickname I came up with, but it has the huge advantage that it's used by no one else but me...which allows me to register everywhere...Salut Grandpas ;)...

It's a little bit more problematic with my nick. :-)

Faudrait faire un peu de pub pour Thunderbird chez HFR non ?

(Why not posting a message to announce Thunderbird on the french forum HFR?)
Jubijub

Post by Jubijub »

Experienced enough they aren't, young padawan :D ;)
Grandpas

Post by Grandpas »

Jubijub wrote:Experienced enough they aren't, young padawan :D ;)

They will not became all Jedi Knights, certainly but I think we can found the Force in some of them.

More seriously. For your Hotmail problem, you can test MrPostman easily. It's a java application which runs without any installation (even if the authors recommand to use the installation file).
Download the MrPostman.jar file and change your Thunderbird config. (or better create a test account .. with Minotaur, pop3 modifications in the config. file were not always validated)
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost ... I am Aragorn, and those verses go with that name.