Filtering with 'junk status'

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
Grandpas

Filtering with 'junk status'

Post by Grandpas »

Hi,

For testing purpose, I want to filter/redirect messages marked as junked (but without using the Junk Mail Controls moving option).
If I remember correctly, there was a 'Filter Rule' with the option 'Junk Status' in Mozilla mail. This is not available in Thunderbird and it won't work by creating manually a new rule named 'Junk Status'. How to solve the problem?

The idea is to use two level of spam detection.
- first level: an external program (K9 actually) will mark as SPAM ("SPAM" added in subjects) any emails which seems to him unsollicited
- second level: Thunderbird junk mail system.
=> if a mail contains "SPAM" in the subject and is marked as junk then delete

Note that if the Thunderbird junk mail system learns that any email containing SPAM in the subject is unwanted there's no no interest to run both SPAM detection systems :-)
Chris Cook

Re: Filtering with 'junk status'

Post by Chris Cook »

Grandpas wrote:Hi,

For testing purpose, I want to filter/redirect messages marked as junked (but without using the Junk Mail Controls moving option).
If I remember correctly, there was a 'Filter Rule' with the option 'Junk Status' in Mozilla mail. This is not available in Thunderbird and it won't work by creating manually a new rule named 'Junk Status'. How to solve the problem?

The idea is to use two level of spam detection.
- first level: an external program (K9 actually) will mark as SPAM ("SPAM" added in subjects) any emails which seems to him unsollicited
- second level: Thunderbird junk mail system.
=> if a mail contains "SPAM" in the subject and is marked as junk then delete

Note that if the Thunderbird junk mail system learns that any email containing SPAM in the subject is unwanted there's no no interest to run both SPAM detection systems :-)

It seems to me that by having another spam detection system MODIFY your incoming messages (by changing their subject lines) then you are already potentially disrupting the effectiveness of the built in junk filter.
Grandpas

Re: Filtering with 'junk status'

Post by Grandpas »

I think that is a risk ... it's why I'm just testing this system :-)

Note that I may leave the subject unmodified but add an email header line (for example X-Text-Classification: spam)
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost ... I am Aragorn, and those verses go with that name.