Updated Thunderbird 37 (freezing)

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
PawelS

Updated Thunderbird 37 (freezing)

Post by PawelS »

I have updated Thunderbird to v37. Now after start of the TB and doing ANYTHING! (trying restart with Addons disabled, trying to disable addons from Tools or just trying to look for updates…) TH hangs and I can do nothing but close it. All the time TB window is inactive, processor use is 12-13%. May I fix it?
DanRaisch

Re: Updated Thunderbird 37 (freazing)

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
PawelS

Re: Updated Thunderbird 37 (freazing)

Post by PawelS »

I cannot restart TB in safe mode. It just freezes and does not restart.
DanRaisch

Re: Updated Thunderbird 37 (freezing)

Post by DanRaisch »

Close all applications and reboot the computer.
Delete any downloaded or partially downloaded installer files.
Clear the browser cache (of whatever browser you are using to download FF) and the Windows Temp directory.
Shutdown any anti-virus software you are running.
Download a new copy of the full installer from www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all
Delete the directory C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
Run the installer.
Restart the anti-virus program.
PawelS

Post by PawelS »

No difference
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

If you did follow Dan's instructions, I suggest that you do this with Thunderbird.
PawelS

Post by PawelS »

What about my mail? I do not want to loose it. It looks like you suggest just reinstalling the TB ??
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

PawelS wrote:What about my mail? I do not want to loose it. It looks like you suggest just reinstalling the TB ??

Given that the problem is with TB, not Fx, yes I am suggesting that you do with TB the same process that Dan suggested; he simply pasted in the wrong boilerplate text, I am sure.

As for losing your mail, replacing TB has nothing at all to do with your email, which is stored in a totally different location than the folder that contains the TB program:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird
PawelS

Post by PawelS »

I have done the same for TB. After all, I could just enter passwords for my mail accounts and when I tried to check TB version (in Help...) it hung again.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

PawelS wrote:I have done the same for TB. After all, I could just enter passwords for my mail accounts and when I tried to check TB version (in Help...) it hung again.

In case you have noticed, that is not good.

1. Start TB in Safe Mode: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode . If that works, restart, then disable one-half of any extensions installed, restart, test. If that works, then one of the disabled extensions is the culprit, so re-enable one-half of disabled extensions, restart, retest until problem is isolated. If that testng does not help. then disable remaining extensions, repeat previous process.

2. If (1.) surpa is of no avail, create a new TB profile, add one email account, test. IF okay, then follow directions in this file: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... hunderbird , going step-by-step to determine if perhaps something in the old profile is the problem.

3. If neither 1. nor 2. is of any avail, then create and use a scriptorium. (My academic background is as a medievalist.)

There may very well be other things to try, and other forum users may suggest them; I cannot nor do I claim to have the only answer(s) to your problem, but no one else has yet to contribute, so I am all you have so far to further confuse your life.
PawelS

Post by PawelS »

Anything I should do from inside of TB is no use. As I wrote at the beginning whatever I try there, hangs the TB. I think that there is no problem with my profiles, because TB hangs, even when I cancel opening mail accounts. I think I will end with restoring my system partition backup. Thank you for your help.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I did "misspeak" and intended to refer to Thunderbird rather than Firefox.

Clear the browser cache and the Windows Temp directory.
Shutdown any anti-virus software you are running.
Download a new copy of the full installer from http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/
Delete the directory C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird
Run the installer.
Restart the anti-virus program.

Note that your saved messages, address books, settings, passwords, etc (if any) are stored in a different directory from the program files and will not be removed by deleting the directory identified above.

This thread viewtopic.php?f=39&t=996475&p=5239885#p5239885 has a more detailed version of the above instructions if needed.
PawelS

Post by PawelS »

I have done all of the above. With no result.

I have found the cause of the problem:
TB v31,7 (TB only!) has some problem with new Nvidia driver (352.86-notebook-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql). I use Win7 Home on Dell XPS17.
When I use previous version of TB it is OK, also new TB with previous Nvidia works. As I pointed earlier, only TB is affected by new Nvidia driver!
Is there any other solution for this problem than waiting for new TB?? Should I report it somewhere?
PawelS

Post by PawelS »

I am sorry I was wrong:
The older version of TB cannot cope with new Nvidia driver as well. The other programs work with new Nvidia properly.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

PawelS, Does the new driver also fail with 38 beta?
DL from https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/all-beta.html