Sort by sender grouped by sort not working as expected

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
programista

Sort by sender grouped by sort not working as expected

Post by programista »

Hi.

So i have that problem, i have sorted messages by sender and then grouped by sort, this works, but the e-mails now in grouped list are not sorted by date....

So is this a BUG?

It must be cuz this has no sense at all and is not practical, i have like 100+ senders and history, so yes it is grouped by sender but the groups are then sorted alphabetically, so i have like new messages in different places, be it in the middle of the grouped list or the end, start, randomly, it just can be managed.

Well not randomly, alphabetically, but if i have lots of senders then just need to look for it, why is that?

Shouldn't it be sorted by the last message received date after grouping by senders??? This way if i get new email in group that group would be on top, this is logical for me.

Any idea?
DanRaisch

Re: Sort by sender grouped by sort not working as expected

Post by DanRaisch »

So is this a BUG?
No, it's not. It's only possible to have one level of sorting in Thunderbird. You said that you sorted by sender and that's what Thunderbird provided. What you are asking for makes sense but is not supported by that particular functionality in Thunderbird.

If you are looking for messages from within a known date range or group of senders you could see if Thunderbird's Search function would be more helpful.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You could also right click on the main toolbar, select customize, drag and drop the Mail Views control to the toolbar, and press Done. That control lets you select/create different views of the current folder listing. You can create a custom view using the same criteria as classic search. The advantage over doing a normal search is you can easily select it again with 2 clicks.
tsor

Post by tsor »

You may consider the 'Show address Only' Extension that adds a sender[@] and a recipient[@] column.
https://addons.mozilla.org/ru/thunderbi ... y/reviews/

Please note: This extension may not work, because it was not updated for a while. Have it working on TB 45.2.0
programista

Post by programista »

Well, then i can only tell that this is absolutely USELESS.

Why they are making an option to group by sort that is completely UNUSABLE?

You just CAN'T maintain it, it is just a joke, i group by sender and i need to search where the new emails are in RANDOM places on the list, now thats pathetic.

They just don't have a clue what UX usability means.

I've also checked the possibility of making an addon for that, but the documentation is just as poor as the UX usability, non existent.

Sad but true, can't use it then.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

And yet, oddly perhaps, this is the first complaint about this functionality that I have ever seen.
tsor

Post by tsor »

The last time I heart from ascending/descending difficulties was about ten years ago.

My advice: Change from 'Grouped by Sort' to 'Unthreaded' and mark 'descending' and 'date' in the View --> Sort by [in the sub menu Inbox of the Local folders. You may also click that square above the arrow of the scroll bar.

And you will have options you never thought exist. Btw. If you click on e.g. Date bar it will highlight and an up or down arrow appears that indicates descending / ascending. And if you press the the quick filter button next to the search field, then a quick button 'show only unread messages' appears that button has a off/on switch.

It is not the program, it is the operator behind the keyboard that is using a display option for something that is was not designed for. Luckily for him/her there are other display options available. --> RTFM https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/thunderbird and be aware of the limitations of all mail clients.

I'm out of here.
programista

Post by programista »

DanRaisch wrote:And yet, oddly perhaps, this is the first complaint about this functionality that I have ever seen.
Cuz no one is probably using this if it is UNUSABLE and has NO POINT at all.

I can really provide you with my inbox screen from TB using this sorting and it is an absolute unusable mess.

And it is also VERY SLOW in TB.

I'm using THE BAT and this works they way i described it, cuz it has the POINT then, it is also very high performance sorting, TB has a noticeable lag.

Maybe most of TB users just don't have any requirement whatsoever.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Enjoy the BAT. I think we're done here.