Gmail Accounts

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
JustClarkie

Gmail Accounts

Post by JustClarkie »

Been having a spot of trouble with gmail accounts. I failed to pickup that I wasn't getting my gmail emails downloaded from a couple of months ago (which cost me with the unpaid Mastercard account argh). Like the amateur that I am, I compared the settings on the gmail site with my thunderbird settings and they were all ok. So I thought I'd delete the accounts and reinstall them in Thunderbird. Now I can't even get Thunderbird to install a gmail account. Regardless of whether I setup an automatic account or use manual config, or IMAP or POP, I keep getting told the message that "Configuration could not be verified - is the username or password wrong" Yet I can go through the gmail site and it'll accept the username and password.

I am using Ver. 52.3.0 and haven't added any programs of late.

Can anyone advise me (in simple terms coz I'm a simple guy)
DanRaisch

Re: Gmail Accounts

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Thunderbird Support.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gmail . I recommend you choose "normal password" for authentication in the accounts settings in Thunderbird as it has easier external dependencies to deal with. That is NOT the default setting. That also requires you to select "Allow to let less secure apps access your Google account" at https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps beforehand. I'm assuming you are using a IMAP account (which is a safer choice than a POP account IMHO).

I recommend you do not use two factor authentication (which requires you to generate a app specific password for Thunderbird).
JustClarkie

Post by JustClarkie »

Thanks tanstaafl. Yep tried all that and got the following response in Thunderbird - Thunderbird failed to find the settings for your email account.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Failed to find the settings implies there is something wrong with the email address. Was it a gmail.com email address?

If your ISP has a deal with gmail for them to provide a email account using the ISPs domain I wouldn't expect it to show up in the Mozilla database. You'd have to fully enter select the settings (don't use the auto settings as they make poor guesses)
JustClarkie

Post by JustClarkie »

Yep I'm able to read the mail by going to the gmail.com website, but even if I manually enter in all the settings from the gmail.com site into the add email account screens in Thunderbird it stills says it can't set it up.
JustClarkie

Post by JustClarkie »

MANY THANKS ALL. JUST TRIED TO REINSTALL THE ACCOUNTS AGAIN AND THE BLOODY THINGS WENT STRAIGHT IN. MAGIC...