Tb won't send to multiple Bcc recipients

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
Code Name

Tb won't send to multiple Bcc recipients

Post by Code Name »

Recently v91.8.1 (32 bit) Thunderbird won't send (or Forward) emails to multiple Bcc recipients. In order to send the email it requires all but one Bcc email recipient be removed from the Bcc entry, then the email is sent.

It seems others have this same problem. Some think there was no problem sending emails to multiple Bcc recipients with Tb v68. Others think the problem is with the SMTP outgoing server, not Tb.

Any advice on how to correct this?
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...
DanRaisch

Re: Tb won't send to multiple Bcc recipients

Post by DanRaisch »

No problem sending to three BCC addressees here using version 91.7 and no problem under version 78.x.

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Code Name

Post by Code Name »

DanRaisch wrote:No problem sending to three BCC addressees here using version 91.7 and no problem under version 78.x.

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Yes, I turned Troubleshooting Mode On and tried to forward an email to 3 Bcc recipients and got the same failed results (image below).

I can remove any 2 of the 3 Bcc and it sends okay as long as there is only one Bcc.

tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Do you have a similar problem if you try sending normally (not BCC) to those three addresses?

Try using a different accounts smtp server with that account. You don't have to use the one created for your email provider as long as the smtp server entry requires a username and password.

You could enable smtp logging per http://kb.mozillazine.org/Session_logging_for_mail/news and look in the log file to see if Thunderbird received a more detailed error message and mapped it to the one displayed. But I suspect it displayed exactly what it got.

Note that if you try to duplicate the problem using webmail (browser based) that might succeed because it calls a library to send the message rather than the real smtp server. But if webmail has the same problem then you know its not Thunderbird's fault.
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

Many years ago when I first started using bcc for group messages and needed to keep the addresses hidden I had to put my own e-mail address into the To field otherwise I got a failure message. Might be worth trying that to see if it gives you a workround.
Code Name

Post by Code Name »

tanstaafl wrote:Do you have a similar problem if you try sending normally (not BCC) to those three addresses?

Try using a different accounts smtp server with that account. You don't have to use the one created for your email provider as long as the smtp server entry requires a username and password.

You could enable smtp logging per http://kb.mozillazine.org/Session_logging_for_mail/news and look in the log file to see if Thunderbird received a more detailed error message and mapped it to the one displayed. But I suspect it displayed exactly what it got.

Note that if you try to duplicate the problem using webmail (browser based) that might succeed because it calls a library to send the message rather than the real smtp server. But if webmail has the same problem then you know its not Thunderbird's fault.
No problem sending or forwarding emails to multiple email addresses (not Bcc).

All my various email accounts use the 'name' - smtp.verizon.net outgoing server addresses. All accounts react the same when sending to multiple Bcc recipients.

i have not tried using webmail to send to multiple Bcc recipients, but even if it did work that doesn't help matters when using Tb.
Code Name

Post by Code Name »

Gone Postal wrote:Many years ago when I first started using bcc for group messages and needed to keep the addresses hidden I had to put my own e-mail address into the To field otherwise I got a failure message. Might be worth trying that to see if it gives you a workround.

That did indeed work when I added my own email address into the To field, but I don't know why that made it work. But it doesn't work as it should work by sending just multiple Bcc without adding my own email address into the To field. It used to work correctly - I just want it to work correctly again. So, I presume there's a bug in the system...
Code Name

Post by Code Name »

It continues to not work correctly unless I add my own email address into the To field. It seems that this bug (or whatever it is called) should have been caught or brought to someone's attention already that can fix it. I guess Tb is on a skeleton crew for stuff like this...