Items not saved in profile -- Blame Gecko?

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
markfilipak

Items not saved in profile -- Blame Gecko?

Post by markfilipak »

Linux Mint 20.3, TBird 91.9.1, FFox 101.0.1.

Regarding TBird & FFox:
New TBird email & new FFox history are saved to my profiles, but UI changes/settings are not.

Obviously, there's nothing wrong with the profiles or the permissions (and there has been nothing wrong with the profiles for 5 years).

The only common factor that I know of is Gecko -- implemented at v.68 to the best of knowledge.

I had to stop using FFox -- switched to Pale Moon -- several years ago. I stuck with TBird 52.7 for 5 years, but then (a week ago), along came mandatory Oauth2, I had to 'upgrade', and this problem appeared and must be dealt with.

My profiles are in VBox shared folders. I have NEVER had any troubles with VBox shared folders, whatsoever, that traced to Oracle code. The whole idea/claim that Oracle is to blame I find ridiculous. Virtual machines are their business and reliable shared folder architecture is at its core.

Can this 'now the profile is read/writable, now it isn't'-problem be solved? I'm available for/willing to do testing if someone can craft a suitable troubleshooting/tracing strategy.

Regards,
Mark Filipak.
markfilipak

Re: Items not saved in profile -- Blame Gecko?

Post by markfilipak »

I found bugzilla and filed a bug on this: "TBird/FFox profiles, update fail -- Blame Gecko?"
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1777712

Then I filed another bug: "Cannot determine appropriate "Category" in Bugzilla"
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1777721

Methinks the bugzilla robot needs a brain transplant.

COMMENT:
The user's email, passwords, histories, etc. are stored in the same profile as the (version-specific) program settings. That's poor architecture. FFox & TBird will be more reliable when they stop mixing program settings and user data. ...Just my opinion.
markfilipak

Post by markfilipak »

I know this is not the place for this, but I don't know how to contact the forums.mozillazine.org owners.

I encounter an error when submitting replies to this forum.

"Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to forums.mozillazine.org:80. SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.

Error code: SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem."
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

markfilipak wrote:I know this is not the place for this, but I don't know how to contact the forums.mozillazine.org owners.
Owner is hands off. We are trying to get the hosting site to update the forum for us, but they are volunteer. Anywho, plenty of threads in the link below about the error you are seeing on the boards.

viewforum.php?f=11
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.