Thunderbird clones?

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
Tom Sommer

Thunderbird clones?

Post by Tom Sommer »

Hmm, if you subscribe to a newsgroup, and then double-click the news group (like netscape.mozilla) then another Thunderbird apears in the taskbar... Thats not clever :)
willll

Post by willll »

when you double click on any folder it opens in a new window. its done this as far as i can remember in mozilla mail also. i also just checked that this is the same behavior as netscape 4.8.
Tom Sommer

Post by Tom Sommer »

Thats not cool!
none13

Re: Thunderbird clones?

Post by none13 »

Tom Sommer wrote:Hmm, if you subscribe to a newsgroup, and then double-click the news group (like netscape.mozilla) then another Thunderbird apears in the taskbar... Thats not clever :)

I never did like that "feature". It's confusing to new users, when after some clicking and double clicking, they find several Thunderbird windows open.

Does anybody actually like, or better yet <i>use</i> this feature? I'be been using Mozilla Mail/News for a year, and it has caused nothing but an occasional annoyance.
amanzi

Post by amanzi »

Perhaps it may be a good idea to allow the user to choose what happens on double-click - either bringing up the properties or checking for messages seem (to me) to be useful uses of the double-click.

Stuart.
galapogos

Post by galapogos »

I agree...too bad the Thunderbird devs don't seem to pay particular attention to the forums, unlike the Firebird devs...
Tom Sommer

Post by Tom Sommer »

To quote Spock: "Illogical"

I see NO USE for opening a new window... Perhaps CTRL + CLICK or something, but double-click should perhaps only checkf or new messages on the group/server one has clicked on

Who is the Thunderbird developers?
tve

Post by tve »

galapogos wrote:I agree...too bad the Thunderbird devs don't seem to pay particular attention to the forums, unlike the Firebird devs...

huh? from what I've seen, Scott is more active in the forums than all of the Firebird devs combined... and it's not even 0.1, and not the right time to add or expect new features at this stage, it's about stabilizing and minimizing Thunderbird................... (...)
<i>Latest Firefox Trunk & Thunderbird 1.0</i>
viljo

Post by viljo »

superstu75 wrote:Perhaps it may be a good idea to allow the user to choose what happens on double-click - either bringing up the properties or checking for messages seem (to me) to be useful uses of the double-click.

Stuart.

I don't think that's a good idea. Too much preferences is very bad, and especially what's even worse, is to make bad UI decicions and "justify" them by making them optional. I would just let the "doubleclick on folder" do nothing special if the folder is not the start point of a hiearchy, and if it is, doubleclick should open/close the hierachy.

In any case, opening a new identical window is not good UI behaviour.

(Note: I'm not an UI expert, and I don't even try to play one in the Internet. I just have some opinions...)
Viljo Viitanen
Tom Sommer

Post by Tom Sommer »

tve wrote:
galapogos wrote:I agree...too bad the Thunderbird devs don't seem to pay particular attention to the forums, unlike the Firebird devs...

huh? from what I've seen, Scott is more active in the forums than all of the Firebird devs combined... and it's not even 0.1, and not the right time to add or expect new features at this stage, it's about stabilizing and minimizing Thunderbird................... (...)
*Nods* I would think so too...

I still want this fixed! This cannot continue :) It's.... Illogical