user.js not working...

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
amanzi

user.js not working...

Post by amanzi »

Hi,

I can't seem to get any of preferences to work that I've created in the user.js file. I have the following code in a user.js file and have tried saving the file in several different locations with no luck...

Code: Select all

// Don't abbreviate newsgroup names:
user_pref("mail.server.default.abbreviate", false);

// Turn off extra sending window
user_pref("mailnews.show_send_progress", false);

// Change the reply header

// 0 - No Reply-Text
// 1 - "[Author] wrote:"
// 2 - "On [date] [author] wrote:"
// 3 - User-defined reply header. Use the prefs below in conjuction with this:
user_pref("mailnews.reply_header_type", 3);

// If you set 3 for the pref above then you may set the following prefs.
user_pref("mailnews.reply_header_authorwrote", "%s said the following");
user_pref("mailnews.reply_header_ondate", "on %s");
user_pref("mailnews.reply_header_separator", " ");
user_pref("mailnews.reply_header_colon", ":");
// The end result will be [authorwrote][separator][ondate][colon]

// Click on throbber to go to Thunderbird Help:
user_pref("browser.throbber.url", "http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/");

On texturizer.net it says to save this file in the profile folder - and I've tried saving it the 'Profile' folder, the 'Default' folder, the '28ajofi1.slt' folder and the 'chrome' folder. What am I doing wrong???

Stuart.
GordMcFee

Post by GordMcFee »

It should be saved in the 28ajofi1.slt folder. Are you sure you saved it as a plain text file?
Gord McFee
amanzi

Post by amanzi »

Yup, it's definitely a plain text file - I created and edited it in notepad. And, before you ask, it is definitely saved as 'user.js' and not 'user.js.txt'! I've already created a UserChrome.css and UserContent.css file which are working in Thunderbird in the Chrome folder.

Any ideas?

Stuart.
brewthatistrue

Post by brewthatistrue »

superstu75 wrote:Yup, it's definitely a plain text file - I created and edited it in notepad. And, before you ask, it is definitely saved as 'user.js' and not 'user.js.txt'! I've already created a UserChrome.css and UserContent.css file which are working in Thunderbird in the Chrome folder.

Any ideas?

do you have more than one profile?
do you have a windows setup with multiple users?
it could be that you put the user.js in the generic user "default" directory, rather than YOUR "default" directory

so check both
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\default
and
C:\WINDOWS\Profiles\ma\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\default

i'm kind of confused a bit myself when it comes to the differences here, but just try both anyway :p
GordMcFee

Post by GordMcFee »

superstu75 wrote:Yup, it's definitely a plain text file - I created and edited it in notepad. And, before you ask, it is definitely saved as 'user.js' and not 'user.js.txt'! I've already created a UserChrome.css and UserContent.css file which are working in Thunderbird in the Chrome folder.

Any ideas?

Stuart.

Nothing brilliant.

Are you *sure* it is in the right folder?
Are you sure there are no syntax errors in it?
Gord McFee
Fuzzle

Post by Fuzzle »

Actually, the problem could be your editing it in Notepad. Get a Unix-line break friendly editor (UltraEdit, notepro, texturizer) and do all of that editing, and make sure you save it with Unix line breaks. That may work better.
amanzi

Post by amanzi »

brewthatistrue wrote:

Any ideas?

do you have more than one profile?
do you have a windows setup with multiple users?
it could be that you put the user.js in the generic user "default" directory, rather than YOUR "default" directory

so check both
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\default
and
C:\WINDOWS\Profiles\ma\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\default

i'm kind of confused a bit myself when it comes to the differences here, but just try both anyway :p

I have only ever used this with one profile, and I use Win 2000 so my profile is located in c:\documents and settings\administrator\application data\thunderbird\profiles\default\ (I log in with administrator.) I've also tried saving this file in various folders in the Thunderbird program directory with no luck.

Stuart.
amanzi

Post by amanzi »

Fuzzle wrote:Actually, the problem could be your editing it in Notepad. Get a Unix-line break friendly editor (UltraEdit, notepro, texturizer) and do all of that editing, and make sure you save it with Unix line breaks. That may work better.

I'll try this but I'm not confident it will work, because the user.js file that I created for Firebird with notepad worked fine.

Let you know later - stuart.
Sailfish

Post by Sailfish »

superstu75 wrote:I have only ever used this with one profile, and I use Win 2000 so my profile is located in c:\documents and settings\administrator\application data\thunderbird\profiles\default\ (I log in with administrator.) I've also tried saving this file in various folders in the Thunderbird program directory with no luck.

The user.js file should reside in your c:\documents and settings\administrator\application data\thunderbird\profiles\default\28ajofi1.slt folder, along with your prefs.js file.

You may want to insure that the folder AND prefs.js have write privileges?
amanzi

Post by amanzi »

Sailfish wrote:
superstu75 wrote:I have only ever used this with one profile, and I use Win 2000 so my profile is located in c:\documents and settings\administrator\application data\thunderbird\profiles\default\ (I log in with administrator.) I've also tried saving this file in various folders in the Thunderbird program directory with no luck.

The user.js file should reside in your c:\documents and settings\administrator\application data\thunderbird\profiles\default\28ajofi1.slt folder, along with your prefs.js file.

You may want to insure that the folder AND prefs.js have write privileges?

Sorry - I left out the last folder name from my previous post. That is the folder it's installed in. I'm not sure about the prefs.js file - I'll check that out tonight.

Stuart.
rockstiff

Re: user.js not working...

Post by rockstiff »

Code: Select all

// Click on throbber to go to Thunderbird Help:
user_pref("browser.throbber.url", "http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/");

This one is wrong on the help site, it should be messenger.throbber...
Mozilla Firefox 0.9 20040817
Windows XP Professional SP1