multiple smtp 'bug' really need to be fixed or improved

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
jeanjean

multiple smtp 'bug' really need to be fixed or improved

Post by jeanjean »

<a href ="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&field0-0-0=product&type0-0-0=substring&value0-0-0=multiple&field0-0-1=component&type0-0-1=substring&value0-0-1=multiple&field0-0-2=short_desc&type0-0-2=substring&value0-0-2=multiple&field0-0-3=status_whiteboard&type0-0-3=substring&value0-0-3=multiple&field1-0-0=product&type1-0-0=substring&value1-0-0=smtp&field1-0-1=component&type1-0-1=substring&value1-0-1=smtp&field1-0-2=short_desc&type1-0-2=substring&value1-0-2=smtp&field1-0-3=status_whiteboard&type1-0-3=substring&value1-0-3=smtp">bugs list</a>

those bugs seem to be related to my own problem:

i have one mail adress that i use for professional use (misterxxx@mail.com), for friends (harryxxx@mail.com) and internet crap (batmanxxx@mail.com).. those mail adresses are aliases based on misterxxx@mail.com. classic.

i can send mails that say "from" whatever aliases i choose.
i set up some filter rules so that mails i receive go into the good account (based on the "recipient" param when receiving mails). therefore i have one unique smtp setup to send mail (w/ the same user id, that sounds logic although i'd like to use only aliases id so that misterxxx@mail.com isn't written in every msg i send. but this is in some ways related to difficulties there is to handle multiple smtp account with the same smtp's name. anyway). everything is fine.

BUT

i had to create another mail adress. i chose the same provider because everything is fine with it.
so i set up my account. i send mails from a hotmail adress to see if my rule list work etc.. everything is fine.

until i finally opened one of those messages for checking. each header's message (when you open your message w/ a text editor not a mail client) indicates misterxxx@mail.com because (i believe, let me know if i'm wrong) it uses the first set up smtp. thunderbird (and moz mail cl) don't make the difference between both.

i want those both accounts to be totally independent. i don't want someone to open my message and found out about my other adresse (which is the professionnal one misterxxx@mail.com). it was already annoying when i only used my aliases but now it's a problem because i can't use thunderbird/moz to send mails.

the bugs listed in bugzilla are quite old now and still unconfirmed. is it planned to do something about this? this a major feature to me.

thanks for reading

and tell me if i'm completely wrong and pardon me if i totally missed some points

note: haven't tried with 1.4 xx yet but confirmed in 1.3.1 and thunderbird 27-05 build