The folder is being processed. Please wait until processing

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"get it right mozilla! "

We're a independent user community, not formally associated with Mozilla. Your best bet if you want them to fix something is to file a bug report at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ - they don't read this forum.
Lost User 294137

Post by Lost User 294137 »

I am having the same problem since upgrading to 2.0.0.6. I have used Mozilla email for the last 10 years (Netscape and now Thunderbird) and have never experienced anything like this. I tried everything that has been suggested and still get the message. At this point it is only an annoyance since I can retrieved emails. I use a local ISP and Gmail and both give me this error. Admit it, we have a bug. Is anybody even looking at this?
swarfmaster

Post by swarfmaster »

I get the same message on my MAC after going to 2.0.0.6 along with a few other weird messages like file size is too big
millportmac

Post by millportmac »

I upgraded to 2.0.0.6 on my MAC from 2.0.0.0 - apparently not the smartest thing I've ever done. My address book came through fine, but all my previous folders and emails didn't make the trip. I got "The Folder is being processed. Please wait until processing is complete to get messages" but nothing then happened and no folders or emails arrived. On restarting TB that message didn't reappear. I've tried all the suggestions I've found here and elsewhere, but can't find the missing items or any way to retrieve them - my upgrade seems to have been a major downgrade.
pacmary

Post by pacmary »

Millportmac, please look at the sticky note forum under Thunderbird Support (POP3 timeouts). The problem started with tons of us after McAfee did a big update 36 hours ago. It's not a TB problem at all...
millportmac

Post by millportmac »

Thanks, pacmary, but I'm not sure that is the key to the problem. I'm using Norton Antivirus 10.0 for MacIntosh and it claims to have deleted nothing or have anything in quarantine on TB. Maybe it's similar to what happened with McAfee, but I'm not sure that's the (only) cause..
Lost User 295919

Post by Lost User 295919 »

I was able to receive my email by changing to SSL in TB.
In TB, go to Tools->Account Settings.
Select the Server Settings an then click on SSL.

This worked for me.
Sorry if someone else has already post this solution.
-ja
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Changing it to SSL works because you're antivirus cannot scan the messages. This is only a temporary fix. Once McAfee fixes the problem, uncheck SSL so your messages will again be scanned.
ebrogren

Post by ebrogren »

I seemed to have solved my "Folder being processed ... " problem, althouigh I can't be absolutely sure since the problem was intermitent to begin with. For what it's worth, here are my symptoms and the apparent solution. I am running Vista Home Basic, one email account, and had used TB 1.0.7 trouble free for years. The only change, new software, etc. that might have triggered the beginning of the trouble was an automatic upgrade of AVG. I addition to the "Folder being processed ... " blocking downloading of emails, sometimes my Inbox page would open totally blank and sometimes with only one or a few of my saved emails. Finally, on occasion I could not delete an email message via the delete key or the toolbar symbol, but could drag it to Trash folder with no trouble. I downloaded TB 2.0.0.6 with no improvement. I then unchecked "Check for new messages at startup". "Check for new messages every xx minutes", and "Automatically download new messages". I also deselected "Leave mail on server". Since these options are OK with me, I have left them and since that time have had no problems with TB.
Gayze

Post by Gayze »

I'm also getting the "folder being processed" message as well as "cannot filter folder to XXX" that ends in an instruction to delete the inbox.msf file ... I wind up deleting that just about every day, at least once, often multiple times. This is only happening since the latest Thunderbird upgrade. I'm using Windows XP Home, Avast! antvirus. I do have Tbird set to check all my accounts on startup, and will now uncheck that option, though inconvenient in my situation, as others have reported this as a 'band aid'. But there is something amiss with the program, so I don't consider it a fix.
ebrogren

Post by ebrogren »

Gayze, I agree, my fix is just a 'band aid'. You should be able to select the account settings as you desire without problems. The problem seems to be multi-faceted, since the reported symptoms and the fixes are similar, but there is no total consistency. I hope the programmers at Mozilla are reading the forum because this certainly seems to be a software problem
Gayze

Post by Gayze »

Well, turning off checking the accounts at startup did NOT fix the problem of "cannot filter message into folder xxxx" ... and I'm still having to delete my inbox.msf file for my main account several times per day. It did seem to stop the other "folder being processed" problem that stops it getting mail, though.

"Something" is going on with the "folder processing" system of the program itself, though I cannot figure out what. Reading this topic, it seems to be happening across the board, regardless of how many accounts we have, whether or not we use the global inbox (I do not, all my accounts download into their own inboxes, and this situation is happening with the default account ... at least I believe it's primarily the default one), regardless of operating system, regardless of what antivirus we use, etc.... I also went through the issue where I could not delete messages last night (first time, it seems to be part of the problem as it progresses?) This was after I had unchecked the automatic checking options on all accounts.

I'm somewhat concerned that this is a cascading issue and may eventually prevent me from getting email at all. For now, the only "next step" I can see is to disable all my filters. Aaaaargh ... what a pain!
patricci

Earthlink says Thunderbird is out of date

Post by patricci »

Earthlink tech told me Thunderbird will not work with Thunderbird. Earthlink is using port 587 for security and I checked all my settings with them and she said they were correct but I can neither send nor receive messages. I have been away from dialup all summer so did not notice the problem till I came back to dialup.
OH Bother.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

patricci,
You have a different problem than the one being discussed in this topic (and Earthlink Support is wrong). Please start a new topic in Thunderbird Support and someone will help you there.
Gayze

Post by Gayze »

Has anyone else's "folder processing" issue now escalated to Thunderbird crashing almost every time you close the program? Quality Feedback Agent has been sending reports from my system to Mozilla several times per day for days now. I've got the program set to turn off all automated mail collection and most of my filters. Thunderbird appears to be more and more corrupted as time goes on.