The folder is being processed. Please wait until processing

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
MiamiBeachMan

Post by MiamiBeachMan »

I had the same error with Norton Antivirus 9 corporate, had to uncheck the Internet Mail protection, close TB, re-open TB, checked for new mail, received new mail OK. Re-enabled NAV Internet Mail protection, sent and received test messages again OK. Good Luck.
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Bernie Zimmermann
http://www.bernzilla.com
fairyliquidizer

Post by fairyliquidizer »

Hi Guys!

I hadn't used Thunderbird since rebuilding my PC. I installed it and got the same message on startup automatically checking my mail. I had 4 accounts set to check on startup 2x2, meaning 2 from 2 mailservers. I tried various of the suggestions and none made any difference to me. However when I tried turning the accounts check on startup off until it went away and then turning them on until it came back I discovered that only one of my email accounts needs automatic checking on startup disabled (and not an important one). I wonder if this problem is related to the way that particular mail server handles second logins. The bottom line is that it all works now :-)

Cheers,
Fairy
finnerss

Post by finnerss »

Guys, I've turned off every option I could about downloading messages automatically and everything, but I cannot find the specific "on startup" option either in tools - options and tools - account settings. :(

Where can I turn off this? I always have to click on Get mail to receive my messages and I get this annoying error everyone's talking about "folder is being processed" etc. and the workaround of downloading manually the e-mail for each account does not always do the trick.

Any updates in this bug being fixed? or any other E-mail clients other than Outlook express or thunderbird? I really don't want to go back to Outlook and Thunderbird is starting to show these bugs can be even worse than the annoying Outlook errors. :(

Thanks for any reply.

Sergio
hansen

Post by hansen »

You should give Thunderbird 1.5 beta 1 a try. Remember to backup your profile.

There has been loads of changes the past 9 months, and I haven't heard about this bug on those the nightly builds, so it looks like it has been fixed.
Keithj

Post by Keithj »

This one just raised its ugly head again!

I installed Thunderbird 2.0.0 (fresh download) on a friend's PC today - to replace Outlook Express which was getting her down.

This evening, I got a call to say she can't access her e-mail and gets the message "This folder is being processed. Please wait until processing is complete to get messages."

When installed, T'bird set itself up automatically to put all her e-mail, for several addresses, into one mailbox. I had to delete and create accounts manually so that she can separate work and home e-mails. But I've done exactly that with my own machine and never had the problem. I'm using v 1.5.0.10 - is this a new glitch with 2.0.0?
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Issue 2, I suspect that you did not uncheck "Use Global Inbox" when you set it up. It is therefore using the inbox under Local Folders. This is easy to fix. See this: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Global_Inbox

Issue 1, How recently have you compacted your folders? And, yes, it needs to be done after an import. Compacting is something that needs to be done regularly in any email program. We recommend weekly, but many of us do it daily. When done often enough, it can be an extremely fast process. Not doing so can lead to problems like those you are experiencing. See this about how to and why it's so important: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders

If you haven't been doing that before, and 'compacting' them now (and leaving a long enough time for the process to complete) doesn't fully resolve the problem then do the following on each account:

Close Thunderbird. Find and delete all of the files with the .msf file extension in your profile folder/Mail http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Folder#Thunderbird including your Local Folders, especially if you are using the global inbox. You must have "View hidden files and folders" on http://spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=272 and you need to set "hide extensions for known file types" off (just below View Hidden) if you are using Windows. These are your mail summary files and do not hold any messages themselves. They will be rebuilt the next time you open each folder in Thunderbird. Compact all your folders when you have completed this.

To avoid this happening again, see the tips in these articles:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Keep_it_worki ... derbird%29
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Performance_%28Thunderbird%29
Keithj

Post by Keithj »

Something has changed, because now my machine is doing it too. I upgraded to Thunderbird 2.0.0 on Thursday. This morning there was no mail on the machine, and a "Get mail" produced the error message. I never had the problem with any earlier version, and the folders had been compressed a day or so before.

Closing T'bird and restarting it fixed it, and it fetched all the mail for the various accounts normally.

I think I'll be switching back to 1.5 until the bug is sorted.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

This is not a bug. You are reading a topic from 2004. I recently added to it. Did you try what I suggested?
Keithj

Post by Keithj »

It's a "problem" that folks had in 2004. I never had it back then.
I added to it earlier this week when a friend of mine had the same problem with Thunderbird 2.0.0.
Thank you for your suggestion.

Yes, I passed on what you suggested to my friend, but she's 100 miles away from where I am, and her machine still can't receive e-mail. She doesn't know enough about computers to risk following those instructions so she's without e-mail until I visit again next weekend.

Yesterday, my home machine, just updated to Thunderbird 2.0.0, started doing it, whereas it never did before.

That doesn't bother me, because I can work round it, and when I get back home and am no longer working via a VPN, I can tackle Thunderbird or revert to v 1.5.

It may not be a bug, but from where I sit it looks very like one.
Keithj

Post by Keithj »

Well, the sequel and a solution that worked:

Removing all the .msf files from friend's computer didn't fix it. We still got the same error message after it had done re-creating the .msf files.

In the end, I uninstalled Thunderbird completely, and picked through the various deep-down hiding places where it puts stuff and deleted all that too. I took the address book (imported from Outlook Express), which was full of all sorts of strange stuff, and picked out just the e-mail addresses from that.

Then I reinstalled and configured Thunderbird, without importing anything from Outlook Express. I pasted in one-by-one the addresses from her address book.

It's now working fine, and she's delighted. I had to do the strange thing with dictionaries, because the "upfront" routine didn't work. I also had to change some filenames to be able to have English, French and German dictionaries all installed at once, but that worked. (This lady is a French-speaker married to a German, so all three were needed.)

My own machine did it again, so I deleted the .msf files (carried over from version 1.5), restarted the PC, and all is well.

It's not a bug in v 2.0, but it walks like a bug and quacks like a bug...
Karl

Post by Karl »

Well, I just did a fresh Linux install on two different computers, so I got Thunderbird 2.0 for the first time on Tuesday, and they both give me: "The folder is being processed. Please wait until processing is complete to get messages.". Unchecking load at startup makes no difference. Since the only thing I saved from the previous installations were the abook.mab's it is not as tho I was trying to retain a used identity. And it still does it. And it does it with "real" identities; not "default".

I never had this problem with any of the pre 2.0 versions in either Linux or before that, in Windows, and I have been using Thunderbird (and Firefox) for a number of years now.

Maybe it is not considered a bug, officially, but to my mind it *is* a bug.

Karl
NJC

Post by NJC »

I installed Tbird 2.0 under Linux (Ubuntu 6.06) and also started to have this "folder being processed" error for the first time. I've used Tbird 1.5 under Win and Linux and haven't seen this before. I am a Compact Folders Fanatic so I will try Daifne's suggestion of unchecking Global Inbox.

Edit: Not using Global Inbox is not a good idea ... at least for what I want in email.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

The global inbox solution was for something else that was asked, not this issue. The rest of my reply is what applies to it.
onked

Post by onked »

I have the same problem after installing Thunderbird 2.0 (over 1.5.0.12) - deleting all the *.msf files does not help and all the folders are compacted daily.

However I can use TB 2 but I have to wait at least 20 seconds before i can download messages.

Any other ideas?