The folder is being processed. Please wait until processing

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
chantu

Re: The folder is being processed. Please wait until processing

Post by chantu »

Hi

I am also a victim of this error.

My TB fully updated latest version 2.0.019 was stuck on downloading mails from Gmail for last 6 days. This was giving me "The folder is being processed error" all the time i tried Get Mail or started TB.

All my mails from 4-5 accts go to one folder, and then i have filters that sort mails to various folders.

My workaround was this.

I went to Tools -> Add-Ons

I disabled all add-ons. (leaving Talkback Add on like that) . Please note that I did not unisntall any Add ons.. but just disabled Add ons.

Then i closed TB completely.

And i restarted TB and it again started checking all my accounts.

I am sharing this info here hoping it mght help some one.

Regards
Chantu of ChantuDotCom
nlandas

Post by nlandas »

Any chance that many of you are using Grisoft AVG's email scanner? Because that caused this error for me on multiple computers.

We've taken to not installing the ABG email scanner because of it. Part of the reason, is that AVG grabs the port 110 communication but either doesn't let you know it's processing the emails or just locks up during the process.

Then you hit get message and received the error. Turning off/uninstalling the email scanner fixes the problem.

There may be other 3d party scanners that do the same thing.
gunrunnerjohn

Post by gunrunnerjohn »

Well, it went away when I moved over to Windows 7, and I was using ESET NOD32 on the problem XP computer. I'm actually currently using AVG Free on this one until I get around to installing a compatible version of NOD32, and it's working fine now. :) BTW, the AVG email scanner is active, I just checked.
JB101

Post by JB101 »

Had the same problem this morning and found this thread.

Thunderbird 2.0.0.21 here with various add-ons. OS is XP SP3. Also run the AVG email scanner. Retrieve main accounts via IMAP from Gmail and others via POP using the AVG email scanner to scan on incoming.

Have noticed Thunderbird "hanging" when retrieving mail before and thought it was Gmail at fault. However, this morning the little egg-timer would not go away, I could not download or look at any IMAP emails - just would not load and I got the "This folder is being processed" pop-up.

Following advice above I disabled the AVG scanner and rebooted the laptop. No difference, thunderbird was hanging trying to load/retrieve mail.

I then disabled (not uninstalled) all add-ons including Lightning, Zindus etc. and rebooted the laptop.

Result! Mail loaded fine and very quickly.

I turned the AVG scanner back on and rebooted again.

Thunderbird continued to work fine.

I repeated this with each of my add-ons one by one until I found the culprit. I then re-enabled the add-on causing my problem to ensure I could recreate the fault and rebooted.

Thunderbird was back to hanging again.

Disabled the add-on and rebooted and all back to normal.

EDITED:
The culprit here was an add-on called Remember Mismatched Domains v1.4.6

Despite thinking I'd found the bug it reappeared an hour later after I restarted Thunderbird. I kept testing and came to the conclusion it was hanging when Lightning 0.9 was installed.

When uninstalled with any other add-on I use present I could not get Thunderbird to hang. Convinced by this stage I was going crazy I left it for 30 mins and then restarted everything. Without Lightning installed there was absolutely no problem with Thunderbird. With Lightning it hung every time.

I searched around again and found this in the Lightning 0.9 Known Issues:

You may experience Thunderbird application hangs when using remote ICS or CalDAV calendars with secure HTTP (https://) in connection with secure IMAP/SMTP (SSL) email accounts (bug 390036)

Upon further digging this was exactly what was happening to my system. My Lightning 0.9 syncs with my Google Calendar via CalDav and Google Calendars use https:// It had worked happily for the last 6 months but this morning it started hanging (as above). The bug report above mentions that certain events in the calendar can trigger an infinite loop upon startup caused by Lightning. My CPU on a single core processor reports 100% use when Thunderbird was showing "Loading folders..." or "Loading message..." in the status bar bottom left. If I clicked the Calendar tab while Thunderbird was hanging it showed a blank calendar.

This was disappointing because I'd come over from the bloated MS Outlook and was enjoying the quick startup and facilities of Thunderbird with Lightning bolted on. Apart from the inability to write Tasks to CalDAV calendars (another bug!) it was suiting me well.

Undeterred I decided to install Sunbird 0.9 and use it as a standalone calendar. I sync with my phone so Google had to stay in the equation. I downloaded Sunbird 0.9 and installed. Then I deactivated the inbuilt "Home" calendar in order to set up a "New" calendar on the network and sync with Google Calendar. This worked fine first time.

I then opened up Thunderbird to finish off and uninstall Lightning 0.9. It didn't hang.

I closed Thunderbird and rebooted. Reopened Thunderbird with Lightning 0.9 (still installed of course) and it still didn't hang.

I've now tried to get Thunderbird to hang 10 times and it wont.

Somehow, installing a standalone version of Sunbird and pointing it at the same Google Calendar that Lightning is pointed at has "fixed" the Thunderbird hang. I'm not a technical person so that's all I did - I didn't tweak anything.

Needless to say Sunbird has been left well alone and we're back to a fully functioning non-hanging Thunderbird 2.0.0.21 and Lightning 0.9 integrated fully-syncing-with-Google set up.

That's 4 hours of my life I'll never get back :lol:

Hope this may help someone else having a similar problem and going mad over it. Hope Thunderbird 3 and Lightning resolve such issues!
emjay99

Post by emjay99 »

I was getting this regularly until I checked the webmail on the server. There were 750 messages. I deleted them all on the server and the error has not recurred and mail retrieval is now much faster.
gunrunnerjohn

Post by gunrunnerjohn »

I have no webmail access on mine, so that can't be it. :)
CW-Man

Post by CW-Man »

Hello!
Has there been a solution to this problem?
CW-Man
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

CW-Man wrote:Hello!
CW-Man

This issue (or collection of issues) as described in several reports in bugzilla probably has more than one cause and is fairly intractable. So until you hear someone say bug #something# has been closed fixed then I'd say no, it's not fixed regardless of any anecdotal/personal reports here or anywhere in the forums.
CW-Man

Post by CW-Man »

wsm wrote:
CW-Man wrote:Hello!
CW-Man

This issue (or collection of issues) as described in several reports in bugzilla probably has more than one cause and is fairly intractable. So until you hear someone say bug #something# has been closed fixed then I'd say no, it's not fixed regardless of any anecdotal/personal reports here or anywhere in the forums.

Thank you very much. I restarted my machine and now It's working perfectly! :D
gunrunnerjohn

Post by gunrunnerjohn »

I still see this now and then, for reasons unknown it's not as often as it used to be.
LeoKesler

Post by LeoKesler »

Because filters, I am getting this error. Why dont change the way of the filter works ?

By example, if I choose to use global inbox, Thunderbird will activate the filters after all accounts was checked. And while the filters are being in use, the program dont will try to check any account.
gunrunnerjohn

Post by gunrunnerjohn »

Well, I have to admit, I'm not sure why they're stepping on themselves using Filters, it would seem that they could not have collisions with other processing...
LeoKesler

Post by LeoKesler »

I believe the problem happen because when some filter is active, the mailbox file is locked and if something is trying to use that mailbox file, like downloading new messages or other filter in same mailbox, the message "This folder is being processed" is showed, to avoid conflict and possible loss of email.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Since this was started in 2004 I am going to lock it. It isn't the same issue anymore and folks might have to work through a lot of old advice before finding something useful. Please feel free to start a new topic if you need help.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."