The folder is being processed. Please wait until processing

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Create a new profile.
onked

Post by onked »

...and then reimport all the mails from the first profile? and set up all the accounts, reinstall addons, import adress book etc. ?

or just copy files from the old to the new profile folder?
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Try this method

To make this easier, you need to set Windows to "View hidden files and folders" and to not "Hide extensions for known file types". See this for easy instructions for how to do this: http://spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=272

Close Thunderbird and open the profile manager. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_manager
Create your new profile, naming it something other than "default", and setup your accounts. Make sure it's working including for sending and receiving mail.

Then I want you to install this extension: ImportExportTools: http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html

To install a Thunderbird extension do the following:
Right click the download link and choose "Save Link As...". Then open Thunderbird, in Thunderbird go to Tools->Extensions->Install (Tools>Addons>Extensions in version 2.0). Find the just downloaded .xpi file and select it. The installation will now begin. You will need to close and reopen Thunderbird to complete the install.

When it's installed, first select the folder you want to import into and then go to Tools>Import/Export in Mbox/eml format and under it, Import Mbox File. In the next screen you will get a choice to either import a selected file or to select a directory. Select the third option and when you get to the Windows file navigation window, find your OLD profile under C:\Documents and Settings\*user name*\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\*random string.profile name*\Mail and then select each account folder one at a time. This means that you will need to go through the Tools menu once for each account. The messages will be in a new folder named for the original with three numbers, ex: Inbox123, which you can then move the messages out of and sort as you want.

For your address books, install the MoreCols ForAddressBook extension. When it's installed you will have some new menu items under Tools in the address book manager. First open the manager with Tools>Address Book. Now go to it's Tools and find Actions for addressbook. Under it, select Import addressbook from mab file. It will ask you to create a new address book by naming it. Do so. Then, in the file navigation window that opens, find your old profile and look for the files with the .mab extension. Your personal address book is abook.mab and the collected is history.mab. You may have others that you either imported from another program or created yourself. You will need to do them one at a time. Once in, you can drag and drop the addresses from the imported books into your new Personal/Collected address book.

If you have any filters set in your accounts, the files you want to copy is msgFilterRules.dat This goes in the Mail/*account* folder. For Junk controls training, the file is training.dat and it is kept in the top level of the profile folder.

When you have completed this, compact your folders now and regularly in the future. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders

That should be everything. Let me know how it turns out.
onked

Post by onked »

thanks for the help!

...very time consuming - but unfortunately it does not work. At least not in my case.

After setting up all the accounts before even importing my old messages, the first attempt to download new messages - bamm - "folder is being processed" again...

Admittedly, now that I have set up a fresh profile folder i don't have to wait 20 seconds or more to download messages. When opening Thunderbird, I click on Receive, then the error message appears, I click on okay, then receive again and it works. Much faster than before but I will definitely reinstall TB 1.5 again, until this *BUG* in TB 2 has been sorted out!

thanks again
regards
Thomas
Karl

Post by Karl »

Yes, I have been thru all that, do not have any default profiles, delete trash, compact folders every time, etc., and still I get the message. And if I click out of the "processing . . . " alert too fast and go back to get mail, I still get the message a second time. Whether it is any 20 seconds, I don't know, but it is most annoying, and I still consider it a bug.

Karl
myk5

Folder being processed....

Post by myk5 »

I'm running windows Vista. I'm unable to download any mail from the pop mail coming from the linux server hosting our site - folder being processed....

I read thru this forum tried various things, nothing works. I suspect it has something to do with Vista security overhaul and Microsofts cold war against all things open source.

Of Course the Vista Windows mail program has no problem downloading email for the troublesome account, and that's the solution I'm using for the time being. Throwing in the towel until there's an upgrade to tbird that works properly in Vista, or at least a Vista specfic response. I'm using this computer at work, have no time to to screw around much, need mail now!

Thanks for the 'compact folders' tip. That sort of thing should be more prominent so users know what is needed to keep the program happy. I didn't know that and I've been an 'advanced' computer end user for more than two decades. Didn't help me any though (the two accounts are too new to have accumulated much garbage).
tomnglo

Suggested Fix

Post by tomnglo »

Since the bug will not go away, would it make sense to add a timer to the popup so TB does not hang forever waiting for the user to click "OK"? My TB is left running always, but if I do not click OK right away, all mail is held until I do. This can and will cause full mailbox if I do not have access to my ISP for a significant length of time.
rich987

Post by rich987 »

I have just installed TB 2.0.0.6 and am having this exact problem. I would say that it most definitely is a bug. I have never had this problem with any other version of TB. As long as I wait 20 seconds or so everything is just fine - but it is not right. By the way, I have several profiles and it happens with all of them.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

rich987

Post by rich987 »

Why only after the upgrade to 2.0.0.6? Also, I have just used a profile with absolutely nothing in the inbox or any other folder and it still happens unless I wait several seconds. I do not believe that any of the suggestions in the supplied link to the knowledge base will make any difference unless something has changed in 2.0.0.6 that would have a specific effect on this message and not in any prior version of TB. At any rate it is annoying and nothing I have tried seems to be of help - and the fact that it never had happened in a prior TB version is frustrating.
elayne

Post by elayne »

I too have the same challenge! I also deleted all the msf files but still receive the message.

Do they recognize this as a bug?

How do I go back to 1.5?
elayne

Could it be hotmail?

Post by elayne »

I wonder if it has to do with the hotmail accounts. It seems to be having issues receiving some hotmail emails.
rich987

Post by rich987 »

The only thing that I can think of is the following: I do remember, at times, with 1.5, not being able to immediately download messages and would attempt message retrieval repeatedly until eventually the messages would download. This was definitely a delay caused by something. If I waited a bit after opening Tbird and then got messages, I could do so easily. It seems as though perhaps the only difference is that there is that "processing" message now (with 2.0.0.6), where before there was no message - so the fact that there is a delay in accessing message retrieval is just now more apparent. Just a thought.
inveritas

Post by inveritas »

I'm having the same issues since we upgraded to 2.0.0.6. I killed the index.msf file last night and now all mail is gone too. Hundreds of emails. The index file is still there though, i know this is what actually holds all those emails, it is just not reading them. Strange.
pjrey

Post by pjrey »

im having this same issue... when will it be fixed! i changed nothing, everything used to work fine.. it is only after the upgrade.. get it right mozilla!

p