TBird hangs sending mail to IMAP sent-mail

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
ZaAaV

Post by ZaAaV »

Got the same problem but not using Imap... that happens using pop too... and then it keep sending mail multiple time unless it can copy the message to sent folder... During this time... the compose window is frozen...
mumps

Post by mumps »

Yet another voice. Same bug, using IMAP. It's funny because I switched to TB because I was told it had excellent IMAP support. Personal experience is proving the contrary, however. Can't even drag folder structures from local folders to IMAP (at least, crappy outlook can do that) and this IMAP bug that doesn't copy or waits until cows come home to copy a tiny message to the Sent folder while freezing the Compose window...which obviously many people have been complaining about, for at least 2 years?!? :O

Anything better than Outlook and TBird combined for Windows?
hansen

Post by hansen »

Thunderbird will support drag'n'drop folders in 1.1.

How many of you guys have access to the server-log?

We're running Thunderbird with Courier-IMAP as server in various places and it's working perfect.
Thunderbird had - and still has - some issues, but it has been working fine since I started with 0.2.
mumps

Post by mumps »

I have access to my server logs. What it shows is that the mail is sent fine, but the copying to the sent folder doesn't occur. It's as if TB connects to the server to send the message, then after that step is successful, it closes the connection and then tries to copy the message into the Sent foler without a connection to the server, thus it hangs. It doesn't happen all the time for me, so I can't attest to this being exactly the source of the problem, but when the freeze does occur, I do not see any active session between TB and the IMAP server showing that TB is trying to copy the message to the Sent folder.

When is 1.1 planned to be out?

P.S. Running on Merak Mail Server
hansen

Post by hansen »

1.1 should be out in June.

How many connections does the server allow?

Could you log Thunderbirds connection?
http://www.mozilla.org/quality/mailnews ... .html#imap
mumps

Post by mumps »

I set it to allow up to 256 connections incoming and 5 outgoing for IMAP since I am testing on a 2-5 user scale.
hansen

Post by hansen »

That's probably the problem.

Thunderbird is defaulted to 5 connections.
Tools > Account Settings > [account] > Server Settings > Advanced.
mumps

Post by mumps »

Why would that be the problem? Aren't 5 outgoing connections enough?

What are you suggesting? I am confused...
hansen

Post by hansen »

If there's 2 users - both with Thunderbird at 5 connections - and the server allows 5, how many of the connections do you think will get through to the server? 5. How many do you think they need to work? 10.

You need to adjust the number of max connections on the server to match the clients - or the other way around.
mumps

Post by mumps »

Ah, I see what you mean now. The reason why I was confused is because even if the default in TB was set at 5, I never noticed more than 2 or 3 concurrent outgoing sessions to the server.

I will make the change to see if that makes any difference.
Tim Searle

Post by Tim Searle »

I've previously noted this problem, but for the last couple of weeks I have directed sent mail (IMAP) to my local folder rather than to the IMAP server. No sign of spinning (and it suits my way of working better). So it seems that in my case (a single user) at least the problem is definitely putting the sent mail onto the IMAP server. This seems in line with mumps observations (26 April 0931).
noise

Post by noise »

I have this problem as well. (Currently using TB 1.0.2, but also had the same problem with 0.9. Platform is a Thinkpad T40p running Windows XP.) It happens maybe 1/5 or 1/10 times. However, I only seem to have this problem when I'm using IMAP with an Exchange Server. When I use IMAP with my Debian box, I don't have this problem.

-- noise.
dapozo

Post by dapozo »

I use thunderbird IMAP to connect to the IMAP interface of an Exchange server. This "hang on copy to send" folder bug occurs with me from home (aDSL connection), but not at work. Anyways- The problem is annoying. I thought I had solved it, per other posts I've seen on this bug, by limiting the max number of concurrent IMAP connections from default "5" to "3"--- but this didn't fix it. Anyone know the status of this bug in TB Bugzilla? There are plenty of mentions of this problem there, but I couldn't seem to find one that was getting worked on.
ivan_w

IMAP Tbird interaction

Post by ivan_w »

I have experienced the same problems and noticed the following consistently: (network administrators at MIT have confirmed this to be the problem)

- the problem occurs with some servers and not others; apparently it is a problem specific to some IMAP servers and the way Tbird interacts with them (verified that outlook does not have the same problem with servers that TB does)

- occurs with emails with attachments; emails without attachments have no problem

- occurs with Sent and Drafts folders;

- indeed: apparently the exact same problem occurs uploading (emails with attachments) from the local folder to ANY imap folder.

I hope this is resolved soon.

-Ivan
PS: A workaround: instruct TB not to copy to Sent but instead to BCC your sent email to your inbox; create a filter that moves email with yourself as the Sender from the Inbox to Sent folder (you can tell it to not do so if your address is also in the TO: field as well; this way you can send yourself email that stays in your inbox). apparently this works because it avoids uploading.
dapozo

Post by dapozo »

Thanks for the workaround suggestion ivan_w. This would actually be better than the standard copying to the sent folder as messages would be uploaded only once, instead of twice (once for the send and once for the copy to sent folder)- especially on messages with large attachments. The only downside is that you would have to bcc yourself on all messages manually- pretty big downside actually! Not sure if you can have Thunderbird do this automatically? - Didn't see any obvious way to do this.

Regarding this bug- per my previous question: Does anyone know the Bugzilla bug number for this bug? Would be good to confirm that this has been accepted as a Tbird bug. There are many entries for this in the bugzilla DB, but none that are assigned. Surely one of them must have gotten through? Link please?