MozillaZine

Thunderbird parent.lock file not deleted from 13.0.1

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Peter_LB

User avatar
 
Posts: 10
Joined: September 30th, 2006, 8:49 am

Post Posted June 18th, 2012, 1:18 pm

I have been using TB from either Windows or Ubuntu with the same profile on a shared NTFS drive for many years.

Because the two builds use a different “lock” file (.parentlock in Ubuntu and parent.lock in XP), I front-end the TB binary with a script that checks for both files to prevent concurrent access from both platforms (which TB does not like).

This worked fine until Windows updated itself from 13.0 to 13.0.1, when it stopped removing its parent.lock – thereby messing up my scripted sanity checks.

Please could you do one of:
a) fix this (ie: re-instate the removal of the lock file)
b) explain how to prevent Ubuntu and XP versions running concurrently
c) announce that you don't support multi-OS users such as me.

DanRaisch
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 121233
Joined: September 23rd, 2004, 8:57 pm
Location: Somewhere on the right coast

Post Posted June 18th, 2012, 2:54 pm

Well, since we're not Mozilla, we really can't fix it, and we can't exactly announce that we don't support anything that we didn't actually issue in the first place. This forum is not run by or formally associated with Mozilla. We're an independent user community.

tanstaafl
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 45109
Joined: July 30th, 2003, 5:06 pm

Post Posted June 22nd, 2012, 12:32 pm

I looked in my profile and I have a parent.lock file created the 5th of June, that gets modified when the profile is in use. The "Unlocker" shell extension for windows explorer shows that Thunderbird has a lock on it when Thunderbird is running. So it looks like they changed the behavior, it no longer creates/delete the file, it uses a lock on it instead.

That change means you can't check for concurrent access from multiple platforms by looking whether that file exists. You could modify the script to check for when the file was last modified. Adding a lock changes the modified date (at least under Vista).

Moved from Thunderbird Bugs to Thunderbird Support.

Peter_LB

User avatar
 
Posts: 10
Joined: September 30th, 2006, 8:49 am

Post Posted July 25th, 2012, 11:06 pm

Many thanks for the feedback.
I appreciate that this is a user forum, but I don't know any way to report bugs to Mozilla.
Do they have some mechanism for that for humble end users?

On a different topic - is there any chance you can get whoever runs this forum to switch to a more usable Captcha mechanism?
The displayed "text" is almost always humanly-illegible, and takes me several retrys to match.

If you want an example of a more usable one, I would look at eBay's.

Cheers

MattN
 
Posts: 17
Joined: October 31st, 2009, 5:52 pm
Location: Canada

Post Posted July 26th, 2012, 3:05 am

Hello Peter,

I'm the developer who made this change in bug 294260 for an efficient method to detect startup crashes.
Peter_LB wrote:b) explain how to prevent Ubuntu and XP versions running concurrently

You should be able to make a small change to your scripts to get the old behaviour. Have it try to rm parent.lock (instead of just checking it it exists) and if that fails then it means that the profile is in use (except for the case where we fallback to a symlink instead of fcntl on *nix). I just tested this between Windows 7 and Fedora and it seems to work.

Peter_LB wrote:I appreciate that this is a user forum, but I don't know any way to report bugs to Mozilla.
Do they have some mechanism for that for humble end users?

Yes, you can file bugs at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org after a quick search to see if it already exists. This bug already exists for Firefox and another profile manager tool because it uses the same shared Mozilla code.

Hope this helps,
MattN

Peter_LB

User avatar
 
Posts: 10
Joined: September 30th, 2006, 8:49 am

Post Posted September 8th, 2012, 3:09 am

Hi MattN - many thanks for the reply. Yes, a bit of script rework sorted me out.

And thanks also for the pointers to the bugsite, and the other bug report. Though the main pain is that the builds on the two different platforms use a different filename.
Presumably if they used the same one I wouldn't need any script wrappers ;-)

MattN
 
Posts: 17
Joined: October 31st, 2009, 5:52 pm
Location: Canada

Post Posted September 10th, 2012, 2:34 am

Peter_LB wrote:Hi MattN - many thanks for the reply. Yes, a bit of script rework sorted me out.

Glad to hear that worked for you.
Peter_LB wrote:And thanks also for the pointers to the bugsite, and the other bug report. Though the main pain is that the builds on the two different platforms use a different filename.
Presumably if they used the same one I wouldn't need any script wrappers ;-)

I don't know the history of the lock file naming to know why they're not the same. I suspect we use .parentlock on *nix platforms to make it hidden and that may have caused a problem with Windows at some point.

Return to Thunderbird Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests