returned e mails

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
stellaherber

returned e mails

Post by stellaherber »

I have recently changed my ISP and I notified all contacts of my new e mail address. I have deleted all references to the old e mail address. When I send en e mail it shows that it comes from my new address BUT if the recipient clicks on the reply button the reply gets sent to my old e mail address and bounces back to them. What can I do? Help would be much appreciated.
makaiguy

Re: returned e mails

Post by makaiguy »

Make sure you don't still have your old address listed in the Reply-to field of your mail account configuration.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
stellaherber

Post by stellaherber »

Thank you Doug, I have gone through the settings and the Reply to box was blank so I have entered my new e mail address - fingers crossed that has fixed it!
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

If Reply-to was previously blank, that shouldn't be it.

Are you sending via a SMPT server that was previously set up for your former mail account?

Some SMTP servers (Notably gmail/googlemail or ISP mail services managed by Google but there could be others) automatically change the "From" address on your outgoing mail to the address used when logging into the SMTP server. I'm not sure if this also changes the "Reply-to" address.

If this is the problem there are two ways to approach it:
  • Log into the account's webmail access via your browser and see if you can authorize an additional sending email address.
  • Define a new outgoing server using your new email address and password. See this article if you need help doing this: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Multiple_SMTP ... hunderbird
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers