Can no longer import Contacts from Outlook 2010 (Greyed Out)

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
gatonegro

Can no longer import Contacts from Outlook 2010 (Greyed Out)

Post by gatonegro »

Hello,

All of my Contacts are saved in Outlook 2010. I would regularly import them to Thunderbird through the Address Book without any issues, however the last version to allow to import Contacts from Outlook is 31.8. I don't want to be stuck on 31.8 forever if possible. The option to import Outlook and I believe Eudora are greyed out on all versions after 31.8. My questions are:

1. Is there any fix in sight?
2. For the time being is there a way for Thunderbird to stop asking me to upgrade? I need the Import Contact feature from Outlook.

I kindly ask for that people refrain from work around fixes such as use Gmail or export to CSV as that just isn't efficient for us.

Thank you so much. I greatly appreciate anyone's help. :)
DanRaisch

Re: Can no longer import Contacts from Outlook 2010 (Greyed

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

1. There were a couple of attempted patches in January, but they were rejected. My best guess is that they'll continue working on it but its not a priority. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1176748

2. Choose a different radio button in tools -> options -> advanced -> updates

I suggest you look at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Sharing_address_books and see if there is a way both of your email clients can sync with the same remote address book. That way you don't need to import from Outlook anymore. My first thought would be to use CardDAV to do that. If they haven't added support for CardDAV to Outlook yet, look at http://www.fieldstonsoftware.com/softwa ... ndex.shtml . They sell a plug-in for that. There is also a free version of the plug-in that has some limitations that you could experiment with first.
gatonegro

Post by gatonegro »

Thank you DanRaisch and tanstaafl. I'm sorry I'm just replying now to your attempts to help me. I didn't try to launch in Safe Mode Dan and quite frankly don't want to go through all that but I do appreciate you trying to help.

I did look into CardDAV but quite frankly couldn't really figure it out. I looked into some other Add ons but nothing seems to be able to sync or have Outlook/Thunderbird work in conjunction. gSyncit seemed to be an Outlook to Google, Toodled, Evernote, Simplenote, Dropbox, Pocketinformant, and Nozbe sync tool. Quite honestly I only know Google and Dropbox from those. It also mentions newly added support for iCloud, AOL, Synology, Yahoo, Fruux and Wunderlist but no Thunderbird to be found.

Anyway thanks again, I will just wait and see if the issue ever gets resolved. Until then I will stick with 31.8 which I really don't mind. However, I have one last request from my OP. Is there a way to have Thunderbird stop prompting me to update?

Thank you! ;)
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Select "never check for updates" in tools -> options -> advanced -> update . However, "help -> about Thunderbird" may cause it to check for updates. Use help -> troubleshooting information instead if you want to check what version you have etc.
gatonegro

Post by gatonegro »

Excellent tanstaafl, thank you for such a prompt reply.