Mail list deletion causes lost of email & surname in AB

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
topoldo

Mail list deletion causes lost of email & surname in AB

Post by topoldo »

Hi all.
I write here because I did not receive any answer at Bugzilla yet.
See:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1277081
There you can also find the image which I refer to, because I don't know if I can add it here.

Problem
I have to work with many mailing lists and I have to create and delete them many times.
What I report here, is that the deletion of a mailing list (ML) causes lost of email address and surname of persons belonging to the addressbook used to create that mailing list.

Steps to reproduce
I created a new addressbook and I called it "Vanilla".
In this new addressbook I insert some contacts.
For sake of simplicity, below, I report only the Name, Surname and email address of the following 10 "fake" contacts, which were inserted exactly in the reported sequence:
#--NAME------SURNAME--------EMAIL
1--John-------DOE---------------john.doe@example.com
2--Frank------BLAKE------------frank.blake@vanilla.com
3--Joan-------PEACE------------joan.peace@rainbow.org
4--Sylvia------WHITE-----------sylvia.white@red.edu
5--Jim--------MISSOURI--------jim.missouri@river.com
6--Janet------GREEN-----------janet.green@blue.net
7--Ann--------HARBOUR-------ann.harbour@geographical.edu
8--Violet------BROWN----------violet.brown@peanuts.org
9--George----WASHINGTON---george.washington@president.com
10-Paul--------LONDON---------paul.london@capital.net

As soon as these contacts were entered, they were immediately sorted out by their surname (or name - I decided for the surname) automatically, as I reported in Figure "1" of the screenshot attached to the bug report (see above).

Then, inside this addressbook I create 3 MLs exactly in this order and with these names:
#--NAME
1--1_List
2--2_List
3--3_List

In Fig. "2" of the screenshot attached to the bug report, the result of this operation was shown.

At this point I "populated " my ML.
In particular, I insert in "1_List" these persons:
John---DOE------john.doe@example.com
Frank--BLAKE---frank.blake@vanilla.com
Joan---PEACE---joan.peace@rainbow.org

In "2_list" I inserted these persons:
Joan--PEACE-------joan.peace@rainbow.org)
Sylvia-WHITE------sylvia.white@red.edu)
Jim----MISSOURI--jim.missouri@river.com)

and lastly in "3_list" I inserted these persons:
Violet----BROWN----------violet.brown@peanuts.org
George--WASHINGTON---george.washington@president.com
Paul------LONDON---------paul.london@capital.net

Until here everything works ok in my hands.

Now, suppose I decide to delete the list named "2_list", ie the list I created as the 2nd one.
Fig. "3" of the screenshot attached to the bug report shows what happens: who was inserted as 2nd contact in the addressbook (ie "Frank BLAKE") loses his surname which was substituted by the name of the list which was deleted and also his email address (ie frank.blake@vanilla.com) disappears.

In conclusion, the deletion of a mailing list created as n-th of the lists associated to an address book causes:
1. The name of the list which was deleted substitutes the surname/last name of the n-th person inserted in that address book (for example if you remove list created as 3rd list, then its name subtitutes the surname of the person which was inserted as 3rd in the same addressbook)
2. The email address of the person who loses his surname (substituted by the name of the mailing list which was deleted) was also lost.

I think this is a quite boring bug. It affectes TB at least since version 31 (maybe also before) and is still present in 45.2.0.
My bug submission was with 45.1.1
My system(s): Windows 7 and Windows 10 64bit pro

Regards,
Leopoldo Saggin aka Topoldo
DanRaisch

Re: Mail list deletion causes lost of email & surname in AB

Post by DanRaisch »

Sorry but I can't reproduce your reported issue. I create a three new mailing lists within an address book populated each with approximately one third of the names found in the address book. I then deleted one of the new lists and checked the address book records, which were fully intact as they were before the creation of the lists.

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
topoldo

Re: Mail list deletion causes lost of email & surname in AB

Post by topoldo »

DanRaisch wrote:Sorry but I can't reproduce your reported issue. I create a three new mailing lists within an address book populated each with approximately one third of the names found in the address book. I then deleted one of the new lists and checked the address book records, which were fully intact as they were before the creation of the lists.
Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
I'm sorry. I reported:
It affectes TB at least since version 31 (maybe also before) and is still present in 45.2.0. My bug submission was with 45.1.1
I was wrong. I could not reproduce the bug by myself using 45.2.0 even if I was in standard mode, while I found the bug for sure with version 45.1.1 (even if I tested it only in standard mode). Anyway, probably the fix:
"Dragging and dropping of contacts from the contact list onto an addressbook while All Addressbooks is selected moved only one contact"
had as a side effect the solution of my problem.
All's well that ends well! :)

Topoldo