Contact view:large notes eat up horizontal space (Linux)

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
astrafo

Contact view:large notes eat up horizontal space (Linux)

Post by astrafo »

Long lines in the "Notes" section of a contact seem to take all the width available when you view it. Is there a way to prevent this?
Last edited by DanRaisch on July 11th, 2016, 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: "(Linux)" added to subject line.
DanRaisch

Re: Contact view: large notes eat too much horizontal space

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
astrafo

Re: Contact view: large notes eat too much horizontal space

Post by astrafo »

Hi DanRaisch,

Yes. Exactly the same in GNU/Linux and a windows machine
tanstaafl

Re: Contact view:large notes eat up horizontal space (Linux)

Post by tanstaafl »

I can't duplicate that problem under Windows 10 with version 45.2.0. The notes section preserves new lines and doesn't autowrap. I've tried it both with and without the "More Functions for the Address Book" add-on, and looking at both the overview and Other field in the contacts properties.
astrafo

Post by astrafo »

It's not about the length of the Notes box, it's about the length the lines in the Notes. I mean, if you have a line break, then it doesn't matter, but if you create a contact with no line breaks and a lot of text, it happens.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

So you want to set the line length that causes it to wrap? I don't think you can do that. Its not like its a message body.
astrafo

Post by astrafo »

Sorry, my English is not as good as I would like.

What I mean is that a note with 4 line breaks will look OK:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.
Nullam massa urna, auctor eu blandit sit amet, luctus porttitor mi.
Aliquam rhoncus gravida fringilla. Nam faucibus sem at ligula dignissim.
Sed lobortis eu est at sodales. Nunc dolor justo, imperdiet facilisis faucibus sodales.

BUT if we have the note text in just 1 line, like this one below...

"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nullam massa urna, auctor eu blandit sit amet, luctus porttitor mi. Aliquam rhoncus gravida fringilla. Nam faucibus sem at ligula dignissim. Sed lobortis eu est at sodales. Nunc dolor justo, imperdiet facilisis faucibus sodales."

...then it takes to much horizontal space on the contact viewer panel (below the list), making the right column (where the phone numbers and other fields are displayed) too narrow, even pushing the phone numbers out of the screen.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I understand what you want. The problem is that there is little demand for that feature (compared to the many other things that people request), there is a easy workaround (add line breaks), and there is a stalled attempt (due to lack of resources) to completely redo the address book design. I suggest you see if you can interest the author of the MoreFunctionsForAddressBooks add-on in adding the feature you want.
astrafo

Post by astrafo »

Thank you for your patience tanstaafi.
A pity this "lack of resources"... I've been using TB all my life and the address book is certainly one of this tools that makes TB to loose users (from my experience recommending TB to other people). I'll take a look at the code first and, if I can help, I'll try to contact again.