Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server ... respond

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
MDSBigPaPa

Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server ... respond

Post by MDSBigPaPa »

Error Message: "Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server ... responded: [IN-USE] account is locked by another session or for maintenance, try again."

I started receiving this message today for some (un)known reason and have figured out the underlying reason for MY getting this error. I was playing with dual-boot Windows 10 systems and M$, in it's ignorant wisdom, changed ALL of my drive letters. I mean they were totally scrambled. (Microsoft, listen up, we need a method to assign drive letters to Volumes/Partitions PERMANENTLY!)

With the scrambled drive letters, upon logging in, my Users (D:\) disk had a new drive letter and M$ assigned "D" to another of my data disks which did NOT have my login profile. The login process then began to walk me through the "new Windows Live profile" setup by asking for a new PIN etc... so it could complete the new profile setup. Once loggin in I used Disk Management to correct the drive letters to their "default" letters. I logged off and logged in again and my old profile on my real Users drive was intact. It took a couple of reboots and logins to get my default drive letters corrected.

What I surmised for this "locked" error was there were remnants of the Windows Live profile password setup that may be causing this problem. What I did to correct my error was to change my Windows Live password, my Roadrunner web email password and Thunderbird (Daily) password. (The latter two are the same password.) With this completed, I exited Thunderbird, and restarted it with no problems.

Bottom line, if you receive this error: try changing your Windows Live password. Then both Roadrunner web mail and Thunderbird passwords (to match.) Windows Live password should be different from RR and TB.
DanRaisch

Re: Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server ... res

Post by DanRaisch »

The Windows Live password has nothing at all to do with either RoadRunner or Thunderbird. You can use the same password for all three or have a different password for Windows Live. Thunderbird must use the same password you would use to log into the RoadRunner account through a browser.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

[IN-USE] account is locked by another session
Sounds like you were already logged into this mail account via another computer or perhaps a different program on the same computer. Might you have been logged into this account's web access via your browser?
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
MDSBigPaPa

Post by MDSBigPaPa »

DanRaisch wrote:The Windows Live password has nothing at all to do with either RoadRunner or Thunderbird. You can use the same password for all three or have a different password for Windows Live. Thunderbird must use the same password you would use to log into the RoadRunner account through a browser.
This I already know...My point was the Windows Live profile on the scrambled volume was the culprit. And NO, I was not logged into another window or device at the time. All I did was change the passwords and BINGO the problem was resolved.

Here's what happened in a nutshell:
I have two internal hard drives and three USB Drives plus three NAS drives.
$0$Sys$Win10 - C:\ (I have a Junction from C:\Users to D:\Users)
$0$Disk$Data - E:\
$1$Disk$Data - D:\ my users drive
$1$Sys$Win10 G:\ (Dual boot Windows 10)
$4$Disk$Data - F:\ USB 1TB
[Note $0$... is physical disk 0, $1$... is physical disk 1...]

When I attempted to define the dual boot parameters, Windows changed $4$Disk$Data from F:\ to the D:\ drive when it booted and windows could not find my login profile so it attempted to create one. It asked for my PIN and when it could not login with it, it then asked for my Windows Live password which I supplied and windows then proceeded to create a new profile on $4$Disk$Data. On said new Windows Live profile, there was no Thunderbird profile because I never intended to create one. I reconfigured my volumes the way they should have been, logged off and back in again and my login profile was as it always had been. However, I could not start Thunderbird (Daily) due to the error. Once I changed the passwords, I was able to access my mail normally. My guess is that it was "locked" by the newly created "F" volume profile.