AB "Display name" field cannot be updated automatically

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
topoldo

AB "Display name" field cannot be updated automatically

Post by topoldo »

Hi all.
I think this bug was reported for sure but I cannot find any recent thread talking about it (or maybe I'm blind :P)
Anyway, I have been using TB since its 1.5 version and, by that version on, I was not able to modify the name and/or the surname of a contact in any of my addressbooks having the contextual modification of the "Display (name)" field.
In fact it is possible to modify the name/surname only during the creation of a new record; if you "save" it, or if you simply move to another tab for that record, then you need to manually modify not only the surname or name field but also the "Dispay (name)" field. So if you make a mistake - for example a typo - you have to modify two fields where a field (Display name) should be only the "concatenation" of two others fields (name + surname)
Can we hope in an automatic update of the "Display (name)" field in TB when you change the name and/or surname of a record as many other contact lists have?

Cheers,
Topoldo
DanRaisch

Re: AB "Display name" field cannot be updated automatically

Post by DanRaisch »

That doesn't seem like a "Bug". There are many circumstances where a user might want to have a totally different Display Name than the concatenated combination of Last name and First name. They might, for instance, have a contact with the First Name "Mary" and the Last Name "Smith" but want the Display name to read "Mom"!
topoldo

Re: AB "Display name" field cannot be updated automatically

Post by topoldo »

DanRaisch wrote:There are many circumstances where a user might want to have a totally different Display Name than the concatenated combination of Last name and First name. They might, for instance, have a contact with the First Name "Mary" and the Last Name "Smith" but want the Display name to read "Mom"!
I thought that the "Nickname" field was for this!
Topoldo