Thunderbird is completely forzen, except Safe Mode

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
LRain

Thunderbird is completely forzen, except Safe Mode

Post by LRain »

Thunderbird is completely frozen. Nothing I click on moves anything. The only way I can even exit TBird is to choose Task Manager and End Task.
However, when I open it in safe mode, I can navigate, open, close, send and receive emails. How can I fix this?
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird is completely forzen, except Safe Mode

Post by DanRaisch »

When things work properly in Safe Mode but not in Standard Mode it often indicates that an installed extension is causing problems. Try disabling all extensions but one and then close and restart the program. (Disable them by using menu path Tools->Addons->Extensions->click on "Disable" for every extension but one.) See if the problem is present. If not, enable an additional extension and close and restart the application. Repeat this procedure until the problem reappears. The last enabled extension will be the cause of the problem.
LRain

Post by LRain »

DanRaisch wrote:When things work properly in Safe Mode but not in Standard Mode it often indicates that an installed extension is causing problems. Try disabling all extensions but one and then close and restart the program. (Disable them by using menu path Tools->Addons->Extensions->click on "Disable" for every extension but one.) See if the problem is present. If not, enable an additional extension and close and restart the application. Repeat this procedure until the problem reappears. The last enabled extension will be the cause of the problem.
Thank you so much, Dan. I will give it a go!
LRain

Post by LRain »

LRain wrote:
DanRaisch wrote:When things work properly in Safe Mode but not in Standard Mode it often indicates that an installed extension is causing problems. Try disabling all extensions but one and then close and restart the program. (Disable them by using menu path Tools->Addons->Extensions->click on "Disable" for every extension but one.) See if the problem is present. If not, enable an additional extension and close and restart the application. Repeat this procedure until the problem reappears. The last enabled extension will be the cause of the problem.
Thank you so much, Dan. I will give it a go!
It worked, but the problem is McAfee Anti Spam Thunderbird Extension which is now disabled. Is there a way to have the benefit of McAfee protection without the hang up? Thank you.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That would be a question to ask of McAfee. Perhaps they have issued an update to restore compatibility.
LRain

Post by LRain »

Thank you!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

The short answer is you do NOT need the McAfee extension to have good AV protection. Furthermore, most of us who deal with AV issues recommend users don't use it because even if it works for you now, good chance you will be burned in the future.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Plus I have seen posts suggesting it's a resource hog.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

DanRaisch wrote:Plus I have seen posts suggesting it's a resource hog.
Naturally - that's exactly why users can freeze.

Some also crash. See list of bug reports https://mzl.la/2bCFxO6