Cannot change SMTP server

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
myian

Cannot change SMTP server

Post by myian »

My ISP has changed their e-mail server (I had no choice over this change) and I cannot find out how to change the SMTP server that Thunderbird connects to. It just continues to try to use the old server, so I cannot send any emails.
I have been able to change the POP3 server for receiving emails, but I am baffled by the apparent inability to change the SMTP server.
I see there was a Thunderbird extension called 'buttons' which made this possible, but when I try to install this I get a message that it is incompatible with the current version of Thunderbird - in fact this has apparently been the case for many years. Is there a new version of 'buttons' or is there any other way round the problem? The situation seems ridiculous.
I have been trying to find a way round this for several days - it is driving me roundthe bend!
Please, please can onyone help.
Ian
DanRaisch

Re: Cannot change SMTP server

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Thunderbird Support.

You may have been looking in the wrong place for the settings for the SMTP server. Try menu path Tools->Account Settings->Outgoing Server (SMTP)->click on the name of the account at top right and then on the "Edit" button. (Yes, the red arrow in the image below points to "Add" but click on "Edit".) Change the settings as required then click on "OK" and then "OK".

myian

Post by myian »

DanRaisch wrote:Moving to Thunderbird Support.

You may have been looking in the wrong place for the settings for the SMTP server. Try menu path Tools->Account Settings->Outgoing Server (SMTP)->click on the name of the account at top right and then on the "Edit" button. (Yes, the red arrow in the image below points to "Add" but click on "Edit".) Change the settings as required then click on "OK" and then "OK".

Very many thanks Dan for your very prompt reply - that is what I call service. I had found my own way very nearly to the right place, but without your guidance I didn't quite get it right. I have now managed to successfully make the necessary change to all my email accounts. I hope I won't have to do this again, but I have printed your instructions so that I can do so if necessary - I certainly don't want to have more than one server.
Once again very many thanks.
Ian
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're quite welcome.