Unable to delete emoticon once put in a text

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
rado84

Unable to delete emoticon once put in a text

Post by rado84 »

I updated Thunderbird to the latest possible version (52.2.0, x86) but this bug is still there: when I write a text and enter an emoticon from the button for that, I can't delete it in a later moment using backspace. For unknown reason using backspace with a cursor AFTER the emoticon doesn't delete it. Instead, it undoes the formatting options that have been used prior entering the emoticon. I enter a text in the form for composing an e-mail and then decide to put some formatting on it, so I select part of the text and underline and make it red and then I put an emoticon at the end of the line. Then I decide I don't like the emoticon and I want to remove it, so I click right AFTER the emoticon and the blinking cursor appears after it but when I press backspace, instead of removing the emoticon, the red color and the underlining from the text disappear while the emoticon remains. I discovered the only way to delete the emoticon is to place the blinking cursor BEFORE the emoticon and use the Delete button OR select the whole text with Ctrl+A and then use backspace. But the latter is not really an option because if you write a long message, then you'll have to start over.

P.S. I don't have any addons installed, just a few color settings and a few plugins which are always disabled.
I use Arch, btw.
icefront

Re: Unable to delete emoticon once put in a text

Post by icefront »

Any update on this?
tanstaafl

Re: Unable to delete emoticon once put in a text

Post by tanstaafl »

This thread should not have been started in this forum as the author doesn't provide a link to a confirmed bug report in the Bugzilla database, and discuss workarounds to it. It should have been in Thunderbrid Support.

I usually don't have any problem removing a emoticon by moving the cursor after it and pressing backspace as long as there are two spaces between the emoticon and the next text. If there are multiple adjacent emoticons I can't select one, I have to select the following space and delete backwards. Basically if you notice when the mouse cursor changes shape you usually can figure out when you can select a location and use the backspace key to remove either a emoticon or a string. However, I have noticed sometimes I can't select text five or six words after a emoticon but can select the two words right after it (with a single left click) , and press backspace twice to remove the two words and the emoticon.

The code to insert a emoticon doesn't seem to handle line wrap well, sometimes when I insert one I need to press return to make it appear (on the next line). That can also mess up using backspace as I can't select any text in that line until I do that.

If I select a line of text and use insert -> HTML I can edit the HTML as needed to cleanly remove the emoticon. But you need to recognize how a HTML span element is used to store the emoticon.