Address Book list trailing space bug

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
gtafuro

Address Book list trailing space bug

Post by gtafuro »

If the description of a list in the address book contains a space at the end, and you are trying to use that list to send an email, an Invalid Recipient Address dialog box will appear informing that:
<list name> list <<List description>> is not a valid email address because it is not of the form user@host. You must correct it before sending the email.
Thunderbird: 68.12.1 (32-bit)
Reproducibility: always
DanRaisch

Re: Address Book list trailing space bug

Post by DanRaisch »

An email address would not be valid with a trailing space. So that's not a bug per se but a less than helpful error message.
gtafuro

Post by gtafuro »

Hi DanRaisch,

Many thanks for your reply.

We are not talking about email addresses but rather the description of the list.

Perhaps a trimming of the trailing spaces, either before committing the text in the input box or before filling up the send-to field, would be sufficient to reduce false positives. If I entirely remove the description, it works fine. It's just what it is: a description! I think it shouldn't cause such a problem.

Put into another way: how does the description influence the protocol? Bear in mind that I am not referring to a list on a server but at the very one used by Thunderbird for sending multiple emails.

Cheers!

Gabriele
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The list "Description" field does not get entered into the To: field. It's the list Name that is being evaluated by Thunderbird as if it was an email address and found to contain that trailing space. Simply editing that value will prevent the problem.
gtafuro

Post by gtafuro »

OK, thank you! I still believe that from the user's perspective this is misleading and avoidable but hey! It's not a big deal and we all can live with that and Thunderbird still is an exceptionally good email client!