TBird 91.7.0 unable to log in and get the mail

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
crenelle

TBird 91.7.0 unable to log in and get the mail

Post by crenelle »

The server says the client appears to be attempting to log in but server rejects everything it tried. I changed the usual parameters to everything and couldn't get it to work.

Downloading 91.6.2 and installing, the app worked immediately with whatever configuration I had before I started trying to get 91.7.0 to work.

I hadn't shut down the mail client for something like several days or weeks. When I rebooted the laptop yesterday afternoon the auto-update to 91.7.0 kicked in and suddenly the app wasn't able to log in.

I've disabled automatic updating. I can't remember the last time I had this sort of immovable issue with TBird.

I see there's a flurry of versions ahead of 91.7.0, tempted to try something there but I've had to spend some time recovering and need to get work done today. The house server is slow and has old stuff on it making recovery quite the ordeal.

91.6.2 didn't just use the data folder for Thunderbird, I had to fill in the account information for one account to get IMAP to fill in everything.
crenelle

Re: TBird 91.7.0 unable to log in and get the mail

Post by crenelle »

Ok, I have a better idea what's going on. The update to 91.7.0 did not use the old profile and wanted me to create new accounts and so on. Once I saw that dazed expression on the earlier app's face being the same as 91.7.0, I started to look for the way to tell the new version to use the old default profile. I'm doing this because I really don't want to spend inordinate numbers of hours reconfiguring the mail client to talk to all the servers again, that seems like work the update should do for us. This seems inordinately fragile.
crenelle

Post by crenelle »

Yikes. Because 91.0.7 updated from whatever earlier version I had, I have no apparently sensible way to even refer to earlier account settings. Where is that information?
crenelle

Post by crenelle »

To recover from auto update, now thinking about restoring from backup.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Launch Thunderbird to the profile manager ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_manag ... le_Manager ) and confirm whether you have more than one profile. It sounds as though your Thunderbird installation has lost track of the original profile and you may be able to revert to your original data by choosing that original profile for use.
crenelle

Post by crenelle »

That's an interesting feature. I did that and was able to access the original profile (I appear to have about eight of them). It still has ditched all the header information locally, however, so the client is seemingly loading several hundred thousand message subject lines and etc. Why did the app...oh, never mind, I'm almost back in business.
crenelle

Post by crenelle »

And thanks!