Thunderbird not displaying images inline

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
Gayze

Thunderbird not displaying images inline

Post by Gayze »

Please refer to the following thread for examples and details:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=387180

===

After the recent upgrade to Thunderbird 1.5, images that had been displaying inline (both inline images and attachments, as I do have the option active in my settings) stopped showing up in the message window. On investigating the issue, I discovered the problem was only happening with certain senders, and that those senders were using various builds of Eudora. (It was later discovered by a Tbird-using friend that images sent by Outlook -- NOT Outlook Express, the regular Outlook -- causes the same problem to show up in Tbird.) I *had* been able to view images sent by these people previously with Thunderbird, this is a new "misbehavior". I have posted examples of content-type, header, etc, information in the above thread, where others have reported the same problem as well. I also see mention of it on the various Thunderbird forums in other places, so it's not just me.

These images/messages had been coming through a discussion list and I discovered that others using Thunderbird on the list also are having the same problem. I did some experimenting and discovered that not *all* Eudora users were affected (see the samples -- Eudora v.6x seems to have fixed it and v7x broke it again), and it was discovered (Thank you, Lee) that the affected senders' mail programs are tagging the jpg attachments as : Content-Type: application/octet-stream; name="filename.jpg"

If the attachments are correctly tagged as image/jpg they work fine.

I understand that this is an incorrect labeling by the sending mail program, but that still does not explain why:

1. I had been able to view images from these people previously, and the only change in the scenario has been upgrading Thunderbird, and

2. Every other mail program being used by the several hundred people on this list appears to be viewing the images in these emails fine ... only Thunderbird users are affected.

It appears that other mail programs (just an uejjumakated guess here <G>) have the ability to look at the attachment name/extension as well as the content-type and "translate" the image correctly even if the sending mail program is lacking in 'net protocol IQ. :-) Thunderbird appears to have lost the ability to figure it out.

It's been suggested that I bring this here to see if others can join the experiment, and see if the problem can be looked into officially.

Thanks!

--Gayze

Addendum: Further investigation has revealed that this change in Thunderbird's ability to parse the file name/extension occurred not with 1.5, but between 0.9 and 1.0. (A gal on this list still using 0.9 can see them fine.) Since I upgraded right from 0.9 to 1.5 I never saw the problem in the interim. Oddly, though, in the 1.5 **beta** I was using, I **could** see the images. Unless of course I was hallucinating all that time. <G>
Chris3005

Post by Chris3005 »

Interesting how one persons bug is somebody else's feature!

So my thoughts are, Gayze, if I've read your question right, that Thunderbird v0.9 and before would display images inline, whether they had been sent that way or not. But that's been fixed since 1.0, and it only displays them in line if they've been sent like that; otherwise, it displays them as attachments. For me, that's not bug, it's a fix.

[edit to remove eroneous stuff - I didn't read the link Gayze posted (sorry) - just left enough to enable the quote in the next post to make sense]
Last edited by Chris3005 on March 18th, 2006, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gayze

Post by Gayze »

Chris3005 wrote:
So my thoughts are, Gayze, if I've read your question right, that Thunderbird v0.9 and before would display images inline, whether they had been sent that way or not. But that's been fixed since 1.0, and it only displays them in line if they've been sent like that; otherwise, it displays them as attachments. For me, that's not bug, it's a fix.

No,

Tbird post - 0.9 displays all jpgs inline ... whether they are embedded or attached ... except for jpgs sent by certain builds of Eudora and MS Outlook.

Jpgs sent by those two programs are not displayed at all, whether they are sent as inlines OR attachments.

All other mail programs seem to display these images just fine.

--Gayze
Chris3005

Post by Chris3005 »

Gayze,

Sorry - I should have read the link you posted. Hope this is more use:

For other reasons, I have recently been fiddling with the settings in mimeTypes.rdf in my profile, and I was hoping I could find a solution for you, by telling Thunderbird that application/octet-stream should be treated as image/jpg. So I sent myself a jpg and then edited the mail file to change image/jpg to aplication/octet-stream, ie, to simulate the problem. I didn't get exactly the problem you experience; the file remained visible as an attachment, whether I turned "View images inline" on or off; it never failed to display. I'm using 1.5 on XP Pro.

I then hacked about my mimeTypes.rdf, but couldn't find any combination of settings which made it visible inline. Unfortunately it made no difference - but maybe somebody who understand it better than I do can take the idea up?
Gayze

Post by Gayze »

Thanks, Chris,

I'm not 100% sure it is the octet-stream designation that is "causing" the problem ... however that is a clue in that Eudora versions 5 and 7 send jpg files as application/octet-stream, and Tbird could not view them either inline or as attachments in the message window. Eudora version *6*, however, sends jpegs as image/jpeg, and those *are* viewable. Why Eudora fixed it in version 6 and went back to the wrong designation in version 7, I haven't a clue. Another friend using Thunderbird alerted me to the fact that images sent by Outlook (not Outlook "Express", only regular Outlook) do the same thing.

The messages are being sent through a busy list which allows image attachments, and people share their photos frequently. The several Thunderbird users on the list are the only people unable to view the images sent by anyone using those two versions of Eudora or Outlook.

--Gayle
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy gayle,

i agree that the problem is _really_ not tbird - it's the other programs.

even so, given that tbird was at one time accepting such files for inline display, it would be nice to be able to tell tbird to accept the file type as correct. right now tbird - quite properly - goes by the mimetype and not the filetype. i can see the use of an option - even a hidden one, since this is not exactly a thing one wants to encourage - to tell tbird to use the filetype instead of the mimetype.

perhaps a per-address-book or a per-email-application setting? some variant on the plaintext vs html choice that can be set an address book entry.

this is from an email sent to me by a friend who uses ol - not oe - ...
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook, Build 10.0.2627
X-MIMEOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1441

here's some headers from my sister's work address that uses m$ ol & m$ exchange ...
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft Exchange V6.5.7226.0
X-MS-Has-Attach:
X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:

this one is from my youngest sister using oe ...
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180

this one is from me using tbird ...
User-Agent: Thunderbird 1.5 (Windows/20051201)

so it seems it OTTA be possible to have a few builtin workarounds for known "buggy" email apps. [*grin*]

another thing that _might_ be handy is a "report broken email clients" like the "report broken web sites" thing in firefox.

take care,
lee
Gayze

Post by Gayze »

Hi, Lee. It appears that other email programs are "smart" in that they all will check the file type if the content-type is wrong and display the inline (or attached, though I'm more concerned with inline, as those are "supposed" to be seen in the mail window) image. Thunderbird seems to be the only mail program that isn't doing this. I personally can see holding out on principle till other programmers get it right ::grin::, but I don't think the average user would agree with that. I'd worry that some are going to start switching away from Thunderbird because they're the only ones that can't see the pretty pickchurs.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy gayle,

isn't it "purty pikchurz"? [*grin*]

i can understand both sides of that discussion. the usual "real life" versus "correct" problem. i just don't like to see tbird abandon something that it ONCE could do. personally, i would like to see a way to tell tbird to use the old behavior when that was desired.

we know that there is a way to detect when the problem exists, so there should be a relatively easy way to tell tbird to do things to work around hte problem.

sounds like a good bug/rfe for bugzilla ... where i still haven't found anything about this.

take care,
lee
ravenbird

Post by ravenbird »

You should also know that I get the same problem with pictures and backgrouns sent from Incredimail, outlook, outlook express, eudora and others to me.

So, it seems that every (or real close to it) email program handles inline pictures and puts them directly into the email and TB doesn't.

For me, this is a real problem as people send me pics to insert into their web pages. People send me pics for othe reasons also and backgrounds from other people are displayed as a link thereby losing the total effect of the email.

I've read through pages and pages of this forum and tried all kinds of stuff and combinations. None of them worked. I've been at this over 8 hours trying to get this to work. The sun has come up. So, at this point, has anyone discovered a way to make the inline pics show up in the email? Or made a script or something?

I think it's a poor excuse that TB is saying that it's "pure" and all others aren't and that's why TB can't handle inline pics. This needs repair and if I knew where to complain, I would. So, help with that issue is needed also if you happen to know. I'm new to TB (about 10 hours). At this point, I'm really thinking of going back to Outlook.

Thanks for your anticipated help,
Raven
Lost User 167853

Photos in tbird unviewable

Post by Lost User 167853 »

I can send a photo attached using netscape to my own email and when I open it with tbird the photo is unviewable. The problem is definitely with tbird and I am ready to tell it to fly away. Netscape was able to open every photo sent to me but not tbird. I agree, if someone doesn't find a fix, tbird will crash and burn.
DBigg

Inability to view or include inline pictures in TBird email

Post by DBigg »

Thanks all, for the excellent discussion of this issue. Now that I know I can no longer send or receive emails with inline images (pics, cut&pastes, screen prints, etc.) as I once did, my decision is an easy one ... uninstall TBird. That capability is a critical component of my email practices, so I'll find another client (Netscape, TBird 0.9, any suggestions?) until the BUG is resolved. I do hope that when TBird fixes that problem, there will be some notification to the masses, because aside from that critical flaw, TBird is an excellent email client.
Lost User 167853

Post by Lost User 167853 »

I agree that Tbird is a great mail getter except for the problem with photos and I hope there is a fix for that soon. I was very happy with tbird otherwise.
averysloan

Post by averysloan »

I am having a similar problem: I can create a new message and insert a JPG image and send to addressees, and cc: myself, but the image does not appear. If I send as an attachment, the image appears below the message. I have setting "display images inline. Using TB 1.5.0.10.

Also, if I right click on file from Windows Explorer and use the Send to Mail Recepient, the image is not sent.

Messages with JPG images from friends using Outlook and Outlook Express are no longer displayed inline, but are shown as attachments.

HELP!
brotherman38

Thunderbird version 1.5.0.10

Post by brotherman38 »

After upgrading to Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 images are no longer displayed in emails?
averysloan

Post by averysloan »

Yes, the images are not displayed inline. I have upgraded to version 1.5.0.10 (20070221) a while back.