Thunderbird not displaying images inline

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
kivapix

Still a Prolem

Post by kivapix »

I been using Thunderbird successfully for a long time now.

A few days ago I was "allowed" to update firefox and thunderbird.

Now I am Unable to view embedded images.

I've tried all the suggestions in this thread and they do not work for me.

What to do? What to do?

Everything was fine a few days ago and I update to the Latest Version and a basic element like displaying embedded images is GONE!

geez.

I find nothing in this entire thread that works for me except finding a way to live without TB. I'm a photographer ... much of my business is dependent upon images being transported to customers for quick viewing and marketing.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Are you sure they're embedded? The change was with remote images, not embedded.

They've decided to block all remote images, and allow you to view them per address, or per email. The global setting is still there, you just can't access it from the options anymore.

You can find it in the advanced configuration editor. It's this preference, I believe:
mailnews.message_display.disable_remote_image <change> Options -> Advanced -> General. The Config Editor button.

One other note. When you allow remote images for an address to be always displayed, you can turn them off again by finding that address in your contacts (address book). There's a checkbox for "Allow remote images in HTML mail" on the Contacts tab.

(thanks to smsmith)
kivapix

Post by kivapix »

Daifne, thanks for the information.

I'm one of the many who have read enough to be dangerous yet I feel better trying to read and learn to solve my problems yet many times this seems to be the result: the need to learn even More!

I am using a program called: Fotofusion by Lumpix ... this software makes great collages and allows me to send them out; the software sends a large file of the collage THEN just below the large collage the individual image files of all the images that comprise the collage are attached for viewing.

~The large collage: I am able to view when it arrives.
~The individual image files that are attached for viewing below the large collage: I'm Unable to view.

So, do you have a suggestion on how I should proceed to be able to view the attached individual files. I am now confused on what is an embedded image and what is a Remote image ... but, I'm starting to smile if there's something I can do to "heal" it.

I'm open to ideas: do you know why one image (the Large collage) would show and the others (the smaller image files that make up the collage) that are attached are not visible when my emailed collage arrives to my mailbox?

Thanks for at least getting me started on the next learning curve: Embedded vs. Remote!
kivapix

Post by kivapix »

<<<You can find it in the advanced configuration editor. It's this preference, I believe:
mailnews.message_display.disable_remote_image <change> Options -> Advanced -> General. The Config Editor button. >>>>

Just made this change and emailed a collage to myself. No change.

The large overall collage is showing.

The attached set of individual images that comprise the collage, which are normally showing one by one below the collage, are not showing: all I see is:

Photo 4: 4_6-7-2007 11-08-28 am_0148.jpg, Photo #4 from Page #1

then

Photo 3: 3_7-3-2007 10-35-35 am_0018.jpg, Photo #3 from Page #1

AND SO ON.

Ideas?
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

What file format are the attached files in?
kivapix

Post by kivapix »

see attached file information just above: jpg
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

kivapix wrote:see attached file information just above: jpg

This forum is not a place where your issues can be addressed properly.
Not that folks aren't willing, but we can't see what you are experiencing.

There is a newsgroup that exists specifically to test multimedia, there you can post your collage and it can be evaluated to see what is really happening.
Mozilla.test.multimedia is that place, and I am the moderator there.

Take a look at the "How to post" link in my sig.
If you just want to make a quick post there, I can clear you for that without a signup.
JoeS Testing current Thunderbird trunk builds WinXP SP2+
news://news.mozilla.org.mozilla.test.multimedia How to Post
kivapix

Post by kivapix »

Thank you Joe.

Didn't know my post was inapprop. here ... unintentional, thanks for the heads up.

I'm looking at the "How to Post" on another page right now.

What next?
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

kivapix wrote:Thank you Joe.

Didn't know my post was inapprop. here ... unintentional, thanks for the heads up.

I'm looking at the "How to Post" on another page right now.

What next?

Not inapproriate at all, just difficult to analyze without seeing the the actual composition.
Just subscribe to the newsgroup, then send a sample post there.
If you are not used to newsgroups, you just send a message, just as you would an email, just send it to the newsgroup instead of an email recipiant.
And don't forget to send in HTML mode. Plaintext will get you nowhere for what you want to do.
JoeS Testing current Thunderbird trunk builds WinXP SP2+
news://news.mozilla.org.mozilla.test.multimedia How to Post
PeterinScotland

Post by PeterinScotland »

My Thunderbird stopped displaying the images in Yahoo group messages (and all other remote images in other messages, so far as I know) about 1 week to 10 days ago, which would fit with the timescale described by Kivapix. I use Thunderbird trunk nightly, but my wife views my mail files in Thunderbird 2 across a network and sees the same thing. Up till then I always got asked "Do you want to show images from this sender"- which altered a setting in the address book. Now images are not displayed, even for people who have the appropriate box ticked in the address book.

I can't find any way of fixing this. I've tried changing "permissions.default.image" and "mailnews.message_display.disable_remote_image" and several other settings, but to no effect. Why has Thunderbird stopped having settings in accessible places? Is it now a program just for techies?
kivapix

Post by kivapix »

Peter, this was the solution for my problem ... not sure it will solve your but I'll merely tell you what my limited fix is at this time.

I found that image files that are not showing are image files that have SPACES in the image file name: for example:

kivapix wedding photography.jpg is a file that will not show up because the file name has spaces in it.

but, this file will show up:

kivapix_wedding_photography.jpg (note: there are no spaces in the image file name)

or, this will show up:

KivapixWeddingPhotography.jpg (no spaces in the file name and it shows up)

~hope that helps, good luck
kivapix

Post by kivapix »

Additional Note:

There are Rename Programs out there that will easily batch process the renaming of your files if needed. These will replace a space in the file name with a _

that's been my quick fix since i deal with thousands of photo files on a consistent basis.

http://www.kivapix.com
PeterinScotland

OK now fixed - not sure what I did but it was something to do with full html and simple html, though that didn't solve it immediately. Sorry for bother.
kivapix

Post by kivapix »

Peter,
What settings did you change from and what setting do you currently have for:

View > Message Body As > ?????????
PeterinScotland

View > Message Body As > Original HTML