Thunderbird not displaying images inline

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
winseer

Re: Thunderbird not displaying images inline

Post by winseer »

Hello, Buddies, I spend a whole night sitting in my office, to fix the same problem as yours, now I did it.

go to Tools> Options > Advanced to open Config Editor, search by 'inline', you will find

mail.inline_attachments, change the value from falsh to true.

Close all windows for Thunderbird and Exit, reopen it, now you got it.

If this does work, send me some good willings :-)) ** e-mail address removed by moderator ** :D :mrgreen:
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

winseer,
removed your e-mail address because we do not give email support. To do so would deprive other users of the information offered in a response to your topic. More importantly, spammers harvest email addresses from public forums like this.
miltreynolds

Post by miltreynolds »

[quote="winseer"]Hello, Buddies, I spend a whole night sitting in my office, to fix the same problem as yours, now I did it.

go to Tools> Options > Advanced to open Config Editor, search by 'inline', you will find

mail.inline_attachments, change the value from falsh to true.

Close all windows for Thunderbird and Exit, reopen it, now you got it.

You can do the same thing by:
View/Display Attachments Inline

Milt
Beruthiel45

Post by Beruthiel45 »

Haven't tried your solution yet, Winseer, but my email is already set to View/Display attachments inline, and my problem remains.
I found one solution to forwards with images that won't show inline, nor as attachments in the compose window, when I try to forward them.
I used 'reply, instead, and lo and behold, there are the missing items.
Of course you have to fix the subject line, delete the sender and add the other recipients, plus, delete the "so-and-so wrote" bit, but at least things can go out intact now.
Where there's a will there's a way, even if it's an amateur's heavy-handed fix.
PJG

Post by PJG »

My e-mail recipients have also commented that images in my e-mails to them aren't getting through, just grey boxes where they should be. Interestingly, when I forward these e-mails to myself the images get through. Is it a TB (which I use) or an Outlook Express (which they use) issue ?

Also, when forwarding a message with images, I notice that some images are placed in a table made up of red lines. Some images are not. However, when images don't get through it happens with both tabulated and non-tabulated images.

Bit of a mystery, eh ?
Beruthiel45

Post by Beruthiel45 »

I can't be bothered to read back and see if I already mentioned this, or if anyone else has, but the only correspondents of mine who have problems seeing my images, and whose images I can't see, are those who use hotmail and yahoo. I wrote to everyone in my address book and asked them. They're all family and friends so they kindly obliged and wrote back to tell me.
Back to gmail I guess.
Gotit

Post by Gotit »

Just watching the topic for resoluton.
If great minds thought alike, there would only be one kind of everything!
5herry

Post by 5herry »

Hello. It's September 27, 2008, and attachments refuse to display inline - not outgoing, not incoming. View Attachments Inline is checked. The Config Editor already had "True" set for inline attachments. Have tried every suggestion in this forum, all to no avail.

Is it just me, or does it seem that every time they improve TBird they mess it up? Same with Firefox, but that's another story.

HELP HELP HELP! And thanks for reading.
jkm

Post by jkm »

I too have laboured long and hard to resolve the issue of lack of embedded images. Today I spotted the solution in my case. My software firewall (Bullguard) had been set to block Thunderbird accessing the internet! Unblocking it permitted Thunderbird to show the images again.
5herry

Post by 5herry »

Nothing is working for me. The images can be seen - they just can't be seen "inline," which means I have to click every single image. This is ingoing and outgoing. This is a new problem, and I think must be related to some upgrade. Is there a way I can dump this "improvement" and go back to the previous version? I'm using 2.0.0.17 and XP.

Thank you everyone!
gholmes1936

Post by gholmes1936 »

I am using a new iMac OS 10.5.5 and have even tried the beta version (Shredder) of Thunderbird to see if any improvement has been made. It hasn't, so since I am using a beta I will send them an email about this to see if they reply or do anything about it.

Was using Thunderbird v 2.0.0.17
George of Texas
gholmes1936

Post by gholmes1936 »

Okay I have spent the entire day looking for AN answer to this problem.

I found one way around it suing the built-in menu items in Thunderbird. At this URL:
http://email.about.com/cs/mozillatips/qt/et041303.htm

Forward a Message as an Attachment with Mozilla Thunderbird, Netscape

To forward an email in full as an attachment in Mozilla Thunderbird:

Open the message you want to forward.
Select Message | Forward As | Attachment from the menu.
Address and edit the email.
Finally, click Send to deliver it.

I have tried it and it works. I found out that I had to double click the message in the in box to make it come up as a separate email for this to work.

Highlight the emails you want to attach in the message list.
Drag and drop them onto the email composition's header area (under Attachments: or over the To: line, for example).
George of Texas
gadabout3

Post by gadabout3 »

Lately Thunderbird has been doing a lot of the red lines/boxes for me too. Never noticed this happening before. Now, most of the time my emails will forward inline with pictures showing normally. Today I tried to forward inline an email with black text and several photos. The forwarded email is converted to green text and no pictures. I did as Beruthiel45 suggested and hit reply instead and the email looks like I received it except for adding the red lines/boxes. Can anyone explain what might be happening?
davewarwick

Post by davewarwick »

I confess I used Netscape mail and sending message went perfectly everytime.

I changes to Thunderbird because I wanted to have better function in message filters (which TB does give me).

As a photographer, I really need to be able to put images INLINE but the only way now is to do an attachment which is really UGLY.

Anyone who finds a solution, please email me at dave at vei dot net

Thanks and God bless,
Dave Warwick
davewarwick

Re: Thunderbird not displaying images inline - Solution found

Post by davewarwick »

I think I have found the SOLUTION.

I went to OPTIONS>COMPOSITIONS>SEND OPTIONS(at the bottom)>SET "SEND MESSAGE IN HTML

After doing this, my image stay in the message when sent.

Before, I had this set to send message as TEXT. I believe that is why it failed!

Woohoo!

God bless you all,

Dave Warwick
Tulsa, Oklahoma