Thunderbird not displaying images inline

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
njreb

viewing embedded picts in TBird messages

Post by njreb »

After struggling with this for months, tried changing the entry

VIEW>MESSAGE BODY AS> ....

from SIMPLE HTML to ORIGINAL HTML TBird still maintains the security(?), initially blocking photos but at least it now tells you about it and gives you the option to display them.

Embedded picts in a particular message can now be displayed by clicking a LOAD IMAGES button near the upper right of the page when TBird is set for ORIGINAL HTML.

It would have been nice to find this solution in the TBird help since the program seems to have invoked the image blocking, with no hints about displaying them, at the time I upgraded to version 2.

njreb
nribecca

inline pics dissappear when trying to forward

Post by nribecca »

no matter where I look, I cannot see an option that automaticsally deletes pictures that are inline in a message I am trying to forward. They vanish, seconda after i hit 'forward'

Why is that, and how can I forward messages that include pictures?

Thanks
Nick
NickR
oneadem

Can't view incoming attached images

Post by oneadem »

When I receive emails with attached images (JPG for the most part) they do not appear as images in the body of the message, as they used to in Outlook Express or the new Windows Mail. All I see are the small link icons that allow me to click on them and select whether to save or open them.

I have tried the View/Message Body As both Simple HTML and Original HTML, with Display Attachments Inline set and not set -- no change. Only the icons, and not the images, appear in the message body.

I do not receive the warning (at least not on every email) that allows the acceptance of embeded images, but I don't think this should matter; the images are attachments.

This proplem seems to have existed for a while, so I am surprised there isn't a fix available.

Any ideas?
Thanks,

Bill W.
oneadem

Changing until this is solved

Post by oneadem »

I really like T-bird and would love to continue using it, but without the ability to view images it is pretty much useless to me. Much of what I do via email consists of images. I'm not too fond of the new Windows Mail; Eudora is a bit stiff; Incredimail is way to juvenile-looking; however, Windows Mail seems the best bet for now.

It is a shame that such a great email client suffers from such a glaring shortcoming. Oh, well...
Thanks,

Bill W.
mschall

Pasting jpeg and gif

Post by mschall »

I've read through all of this, and can't tell if pasting jpeg and gif images into an outgoing TB message is possible and; if possible, how it is done.
Omegatron

Post by Omegatron »

Thunderbird used to show all images inline, whether they were actually inline or attachments, but it doesn't anymore. Attachments would be shown with white hr lines between the message and each other. Now they are not shown at all. I tried disabling all my extensions and they're still not shown. Was this changed in an upgrade?
PeteSk8

Non Display of Images due to incorrect Content-Type info

Post by PeteSk8 »

After reading through the posts of this thread, there appears to be no TB fix available for this annoying 'fault'* that is satisfactory so I'll be reverting back to my old email client somewhat disappointed (I can sometimes lack patience). I would think many other uses have already done so or will do. This is not a new fault, the developers have had plenty of time to create a work around.
*I am aware that it is technically not a fault but it is an 'undesirable feature' that needs to be addressed.
matari

Inline images not being sent

Post by matari »

After a new hard drive install I downloaded the latest Thunderbird and now find my inline images are not being sent. (Mostly jpegs) Only the text goes. This was not the case with my previous installation.
Also as has happened to others in previous posts incoming images are not shown but appear as a box with a small icon top left and nothing happens when clicking on this.

.Display attachments inline. is selected in View.

Having read all this forum re inline and imbedded messages I still have not seen an answer which solves this problem . Surely a moderator must have fornd a fix by now. Any help would be greatly appreciated
HO HO. I may have found a solution since writing the above and with perhaps a chance of helping others I will continue with this post.

This seems to work.
In the Image Properties Box after hitting Insert /Image I selected--
Attach this Image to the Message.

Although there is no sign of an attachment in the email the pisture now goes. I did not have to do this with the previous installation. Hope this may help someone.
It still does not solve the incoming pictures not being displayed. Cheers.
keychange

Re: Thunderbird not displaying images inline

Post by keychange »

Hard to believe it's July 2008 and my TBird still can't display the images. I am getting more and more list emails that don't display - so I have no choice but to move....bugger! ](*,)
miltreynolds

Post by miltreynolds »

Version: 2.0.0.16

This fixed my problem with TB failing to display images inline:

Tools/Options/Composition/Send Options
Text Format: Send the message in both plain text and HTML
dickgb

Post by dickgb »

'Send images in both HTML and plain text' did not work for me.
Sometimes the images display properly and at other times they show up as blank icons. .jpg files do this as well. Some older emails display properly consistently, and some do not. This is very confusing and disappointing. I am NOT ready to pitch TB in favor of some other product. I've used the others and I have TB almost since the beginning and I like it best. Is anything being done about this? I see a lot of complaints.
Beruthiel45

Post by Beruthiel45 »

Oh, boy, looking through the thread I see that my recent problem is actually an old one for many, and so I guess the fact that images will not forward for me any more, is unlikely to be solved.
Thunderbird recently updated itself for me, and it's since then that anything I forward with images only gives the recipient the boxes with the red x, and I tried many of the fixes suggested above, nothing has helped.
I also find that forwards from my oldest friend don't forward at all, no text nor images, not even the address line, and I'm also having difficulty with inserting images.
If I 'treat a sent message as new' it won't let me add images to such a message.
Yet another bug, saved images don't always save properly.
I'm extremely disappointed in the lack of action on this problem, and just thankful that I don't need my email for professional purposes, or I'd be up the proverbial creek, like so many others.
Come on, ye experts, where are the fixes on these linked bugs?
Are there any other answers for little old ladies like me who don't know their computer ass from their elbow?
My youngest son is getting tired of the cries for help with Thunderbird from his mother.
[Serves him right for setting me up with it in the first place.] ](*,)
Beruthiel45

Post by Beruthiel45 »

Just adding a post so that I can be notified if there are any responses...
ellenender

Post by ellenender »

I have signed up specifically to address this issue. I am not an advanced computer user and was recommended to use Thunderbird by the guy who looks after my computer for me. I see that this issue has been present since 2006 and no action has been taken! It is incredibly frustrating that this issue has not been resolved, and my computer technician was extremely disappointed as well since I know he puts all his customers onto Thunderbird where possible.

I had thought that the problem was ME (that is to say, user error) but now I find that this is not the case and moreover seems to have been ignored since it was announced. The issue is clearly genuine and my computer technician tells me it is "reproducible" so it should be a simple matter to fix. I use Firefox and have been very happy with that also, but would like to see Thunderbird receive some of the attention that Firefox has in the quality control department.
Beruthiel45

Post by Beruthiel45 »

ellenender wrote:I have signed up specifically to address this issue. I am not an advanced computer user and was recommended to use Thunderbird by the guy who looks after my computer for me. I see that this issue has been present since 2006 and no action has been taken! It is incredibly frustrating that this issue has not been resolved, and my computer technician was extremely disappointed as well since I know he puts all his customers onto Thunderbird where possible.

I had thought that the problem was ME (that is to say, user error) but now I find that this is not the case and moreover seems to have been ignored since it was announced. The issue is clearly genuine and my computer technician tells me it is "reproducible" so it should be a simple matter to fix. I use Firefox and have been very happy with that also, but would like to see Thunderbird receive some of the attention that Firefox has in the quality control department.
My sentiments exactly!

I might add that after sending out a request for clarification to my most frequent correspondents, it seems that only SOME of them fail to get the images, but the other difficulties remain.
I forgot to mention another, regarding 'edit message as new' - it tells me it can't save the draught, and asks me if I have authority!
The last couple of times that I used 'edit message as new', I ended up having to copy and paste into a new 'compose' window, so the new Thunderbird has a very real problem, with so many glitches. Give me back the old version, at least it did what I wanted it to, when I wanted it.