Message Database "Corruption" with TB 1.5.0.8

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
soulek

Post by soulek »

I have lots of filters, but all of mine are single action (I do find, however, that sometime TB will correctly identify/mark a message as spam, but then not move it to the Spam folder ... I assume that this is a filter issue, of sorts). I looked at your referenced thread, and yes, the order is important.

If you believe you have a bug, file a Bugzilla report (attaching logs, etc.). That is the only way to get it fixed.
Lost User 52455

Post by Lost User 52455 »

Yes, I wanted to file a bug report, but I don't know exactly how to reproduce the bug.
It seems that sometimes the rules are skipped and other times they are applied twice!
I have messages not copied and other copied twice (one message was copied 3 times!!!).
I can just attach the log, but it seems all right as it shows the rule always applied.
I hoped that other users had the same bug to track it down more clearly, but no one replied to me :-(
Amsterdammer

Post by Amsterdammer »

Where can I get elder (localized) versions of TB 1.5.0.x. from official (=mozilla) downloadsites. ftp-server is no option.
I will link this in a support forum for "normal" users who want downgrade to 1.5.0.7 ...

This one en-US:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbir ... l#download

This one is annoying, it's the 1.5.0.7 site, but nevertheless u get 1.5.0.8:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbir ... rlanguages
Last edited by Amsterdammer on November 14th, 2006, 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Whats wrong with ftp? You can access it using your browser, and can even change the displayed text for the URL so that a user isn't aware that ftp was used. For example, german version of Thunderbird 1.5.0.7

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/t ... /releases/ is just as official as finding the link in the old release notes, and lets you download something other than en-US.
soulek

Post by soulek »

Amsterdammer wrote:Where can I get elder (localized) versions of TB 1.5.0.x. from official (=mozilla) downloadsites. ftp-server is no option.
I will link this in a support forum for "normal" users who want downgrade to 1.5.0.7 ...

Try http://download.mozilla.org/?product=th ... in&lang=nl (for Dutch ... your indicated language ... and you can change the last 2 letters for other localizations; I have assumed the Windows OS).

If you are going to downgrade, and you believe you might be afflicted by the problem ... (i) VERY IMPORTANT ... do not compact your folders, as it will result in a permanent loss of data; (iii) uninstall 1.5.0.8 (using Add/Remove Programs); (iii) use Windows Explorer (or whatever), and navigate to the Thunderbird profle in C:\Documents and Settings ... and delete all of the mail-related files with an .msf extension (1.5.0.7 will rebuild them ... but 1.5.0.7 cannot repair an .msf file that has been corrupted by 1.5.0.8 ... so the only solution is to delete them; this will result in the loss of certain customizations, such as folder sort order, but no loss of data; and (iv) install 1.5.0.7, and disable automatic updates.
Amsterdammer

Post by Amsterdammer »

Oh, ok @tanstaafl, I wil do this , but I am afraid of preed [-X

:biggrin:
Amsterdammer

Post by Amsterdammer »

btw:
IMHO is this a reason for a quickrelease of TB 1.5.0.9, because it's the first time in the history of TB, that mails are lost in case of affection with a bug and options are on advanced>offline and disk space>disk space: compact folders when wil save over ... KB or when people compact manually (normal way to let appear "hidden" mails). Many people are downgrading now or leaving TB...

But I can see no pre build of 1.5.0.9
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... illa1.8.0/

:(
soulek

Post by soulek »

Amsterdammer wrote:But I can see no pre build of 1.5.0.9

I believe there is a tricky issue they are trying to solve. Whether you go up to 1.5.0.9 or down to 1.5.0.7, you have to wipe out all of the *.msf files, and allow the new build to regenerate them. I think they are trying to write code to automate this (candidly, I don't want my mom opening Windows Explorer and searching for files to delete). Deleting the .msf files also deletes certain user customizations, such as the folder-by-folder sort order. I believe they are trying to devise a way to save the customizations, wipe out the .msf files, and then regenerate the .msf files with the prior customizations intact.
Amsterdammer

Post by Amsterdammer »

May be, ... ;)

another point for me (as member of national support forums) is:
No archieved localized release builds on Mozilla.com
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

Amsterdammer wrote:But I can see no pre build of 1.5.0.9

Ignore the version number, which hasn't been updated yet, just look at the date. The fix was checked in on the relevant 1.8.0 branch on 2006-11-21 13:04 PST. So any builds made after that contain the fix.

bienvenu wrote:this patch makes it so we'll do a one time run through of the msg hdrs in a db, and if we find messages with the reference header set to the message-id, we'll regenerate the db.
Amsterdammer

Post by Amsterdammer »

^
Thx, but i do not work with mailclient nightlies, only browser nightlies.
I exported my TB-profile to the elder, not affected SeaMonkey 1.0.5 version (u can use TB and SeaMonkey at the same moment).
When I get an announcment in TB without seeing a new mail in inbox, I copy the inbox (mbox-file) to the SeaMonkey-clone and I see the mail (only spam so far ... :) )
zopri

Post by zopri »

I wonder if only those corrupt messages are affected, or other clean messages in the same mailbox as well? That would be even worse...
tgrantt

Post by tgrantt »

I ran into trouble shortly after upgrading. I tried to run a filter to forward, TB crashed. Now, it won't even start. I went through the steps that soulek suggested, and re-installed 1.5.0.7. Now, when I try to start, in safe mode even, it says "A previous install did not finish, please re-install" or something similar. Ideas?
bomb fight capitalist scramble missle worm destroy
--The NSA's going to love me!
Kenosee Lake, Saskatchewan, Canada
jmillar

Post by jmillar »

@ Steffen

So after my update to nightly trunk build 26/27-11-06 everything should be in order? No lost messages? No return to 1.5.0.7 necessary?
Some reassurance would be welcome right now.

Tnx!
jmillar
jmillar

Post by jmillar »

Oops! Make that "branch build" En-US dated 26-11-06, NOT trunk!

Jmillar