no email content.

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
spony

no email content.

Post by spony »

could someone help? when i receive new emails in TB from different sources, ie gmail, webmail and so on i only get my anti-virus scanner messages, but blank emails! help please
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Which version of Thunderbird? Check Help->About for the version number
Do you have any extensions installed?
What kind of mail - POP, IMAP?
Is your mail service from an ISP, corporate e-mail system or Web-based?
Which antivirus and/or a firewall program?
Has this account been working properly and is now having this problem or is this a new installation?
spony

Post by spony »

hi,ive been using it for isp ,gmail and webmail with no problem,i have got mailwasher as a spam filter on it im using avg anti-virus and comodo firewall all of which have worked thus far in perfect harmony together,no extensions installed and have RECENTLY updated to version 2.0.0.6. i tried to use an older version 2.0.0.4 but this seems to throw up the same problem.this has only started to happen in the last week . (pop mail)
rwn2

no-mail content in TB

Post by rwn2 »

I was interested to read Spony's message. I too have had the same problem with 2.0.0.61 for the past few days. Until then I had always received my mail (POP) without a problem, via my ISP.
You ask about extensions, but I have made no changes to these for months. The only change I made to my computer setup was to Install NERO 8, but I don't see that can do much.
I receive no text body, and no attachments. Just the Subject line is show, with anti-virus message (AVG I have used for years) nothing else. If I go to web mail (Webcom) to collect my mail, I can receive everything.
I have today downloaded and reinstalled Thunderbird, but no change. I did NOT first uninstal the original TB because I did not want to lose all its settings.
Please help .. and Spony as well. I do wonder if there is any significance in more than one user having the same problem, at much the same time? Thanks
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Moving to Thunderbird Support
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

How recently have you compacted your folders? Compacting is something that needs to be done regularly in any email program. We recommend weekly, but many of us do it daily. When done often enough, it can be an extremely fast process. Not doing so can lead to problems like those you are experiencing. See this about how to and why it's so important: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders

If you haven't been doing that before, and 'compacting' them now (and leaving a long enough time for the process to complete) doesn't fully resolve the problem then do the following on each account:

Close Thunderbird. Find and delete all of the files with the .msf file extension in your profile folder/Mail http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Folder#Thunderbird including your Local Folders, especially if you are using the global inbox. You must have "View hidden files and folders" on http://spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=272 and you need to set "hide extensions for known file types" off (just below View Hidden) if you are using Windows. These are your mail summary files and do not hold any messages themselves. They will be rebuilt the next time you open each folder in Thunderbird. Compact all your folders when you have completed this.

To avoid this happening again, see the tips in these articles:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Keep_it_worki ... derbird%29
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Performance_%28Thunderbird%29
rwn2

Post by rwn2 »

Many thanks for assistance. Unfortunately I had already compacted files, had 'show hidden files" on, had "hide extensions" not on. That left just the deleting of all *.msf files, but it made no difference. Checking under "show all headers" I find that mail with "content type Text/Plain" seem to show themselves, but any mail that is "content type multipart/mixed" do not. Again, thanks.
rwn2

Post by rwn2 »

Further to my previous reply on the 5th October - I stated I had re-installed TB without first uninstalling (after all, that is what auto updates do). Everything else had failed to correct my lost mail syndrome, so I decided to uninstall TB and then re install. Hey presto, not only did everything correct itself, but my fear of loosing all my settings did not happen. They remained intact! So, Spony, you may care to try this (and do give feed back here).
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Thanks for reporting back on your success. We're glad to hear you worked things out.
MikeSilver

No mail in received REPLIES

Post by MikeSilver »

Is this the same kind of problem that has been recently described here by Spony and others? I recently (maybe 4 weeks ago?) upgraded to TB 2.0.0.6 and it seemed to work fine until yesterday. Now, all of a sudden, when I receive a REPLY to a message I have sent, the content sent by the person replying is blank. What I do receive is my original message that they are replying to but not their reply. Altho in a couple of cases I received a tiny fragment of their reply (e.g., the message from "Sam" only said "Sam" which I assume is the last line he wrote in his reply.)
I don't seem to be having any trouble with newly generated mail (as contrasted with received replies to messages I originated).

I have no extensions installed. POP, connection from home to my local ISP via broadband cable (Comcast). Norton AV. Thanx.
MikeSilver

Update on Msg Posted at 10:07 pm

Post by MikeSilver »

Grrrr....Now it seems to be deleting the content of original messages as well. I asked a friend whose REPLY was received by me as blank to send a new original message (not reply). He sent two messages and both are blank. At the same time I went to fetch his new (blank) mail from the POP server I also received 4 messages that appear to be complete. So this problem is inconsistent. I'm going to download a fresh copy of 2.0.0.6 and install it and see if that helps.