Java/Proxy/Dial up questions

Closed Forum
bigjim

Java/Proxy/Dial up questions

Post by bigjim »

Hi All,

Just downloaded Firebird today - trying to get it going properly. I've installed the recommended Java plug-in off the Plugin FAQ's page, and it doesn't seem to work. I cannot see the newws ticker on news.bbc.co.uk (which I use as an example). This is a crucial function that I need. I've also installed the reg hack that is posted on this forum, to no avail. Firebird has been restarted.

I operate through a proxy, but don't want the proxy login screen to popup every time I open a browser - I keep my PC locked religiously so there's no need. How can I disable it?

Lastlty, how can I make the browser dial a default connection when no LAN is present? I can in IE - will it work using the Internet Connections function in Control Panel.

I use XP Pro (SP1) to my eternal dismay.

Thanks for any help.

Jim
Jeff_pony

Post by Jeff_pony »

Which java version is it? 1.4.2 has issues with FireBird, best to use 1.4.1_03 at the moment or else try <a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=14484&highlight=java+1+4+2">this</a>

Proxy settings can be set under Tools / Options / Connection I belive. The last point (modem connection) I belive that FireBird uses the default connection that windows is using so basically if the system internet setting are set for a modem thats what FB will use.
Please PM the mod team when you see a rule infraction
Life State:: McLovin it
Camino v2.1 (pre)
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Thanks for the reply, I'll try the other version of JRE.

Jeff_pony wrote:Proxy settings can be set under Tools / Options / Connection I belive.

I got this bit - but every time I open the browser, I get a popup saying insert password/username for the proxy. I've done this and ticked the save password box, but it keeps popping up. Can't the proxy login be made to auto login??

As re: Dialup settings, my point was that can FB detect whether a LAN connection is present and then decide whether or not to dial? It's something that IE can do under tools/Internet Options/connections.
Jeff_pony

Post by Jeff_pony »

bigjim wrote:I got this bit - but every time I open the browser, I get a popup saying insert password/username for the proxy. I've done this and ticked the save password box, but it keeps popping up. Can't the proxy login be made to auto login??

Its quite possible that you have found a bug, if you have tried to save the password and its has not done it.

bigjim wrote:As re: Dialup settings, my point was that can FB detect whether a LAN connection is present and then decide whether or not to dial? It's something that IE can do under tools/Internet Options/connections.

From my perusing of FB options, this looks like one that's needed but missing. I would have thought that what you want would make a good extension, hopefully it will get written sometime. Sorry I cannot be of any more help....
Please PM the mod team when you see a rule infraction
Life State:: McLovin it
Camino v2.1 (pre)
scragz

Post by scragz »

bigjim wrote:I got this bit - but every time I open the browser, I get a popup saying insert password/username for the proxy. I've done this and ticked the save password box, but it keeps popping up. Can't the proxy login be made to auto login?

Does it pop up already filled in or blank?
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Yeah it's already filled in. It just needs the OK button pressing. A bit weird. Java problems suck though, and I'm about an hour away from removing FB, never for it to return. We'll see.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Right. I've logged a bug for the proxy issue. Hopefully something will come of this given some time.

I'm still having Java issues though. I've uninstalled, cleaned the reg and reinstalled yet still no result.

Using: XP sp1, and tried with both versions of JRE as described above. Further ideas anyone??

It's a top product, but I can't use it without this support!! Please help...

Post by Guest »

Jeff_pony wrote:
bigjim wrote:I got this bit - but every time I open the browser, I get a popup saying insert password/username for the proxy. I've done this and ticked the save password box, but it keeps popping up. Can't the proxy login be made to auto login??

Its quite possible that you have found a bug, if you have tried to save the password and its has not done it.

bigjim wrote:As re: Dialup settings, my point was that can FB detect whether a LAN connection is present and then decide whether or not to dial? It's something that IE can do under tools/Internet Options/connections.

From my perusing of FB options, this looks like one that's needed but missing. I would have thought that what you want would make a good extension, hopefully it will get written sometime. Sorry I cannot be of any more help....