install & run thunderbird - gentoo

Closed Forum
pshroff

install & run thunderbird - gentoo

Post by pshroff »

maybe i am missing something here...but i downloaded the zip file for Linux, unzipped it in my home directory, which created thunderbird/. I changed to this directory and ran ./thunderbird...it gave me the following error:

run-mozilla.sh: Cannot execute /usr/lib/mozilla/thunderbird-bin.

sadly there's lots of support for installation on windows, but none for linux....

i am using gentoo...

any help would be highly appreciated...

thanks,
PS
wheerdam

Post by wheerdam »

Hmm, strange. Try to login as root and untar the Thunderbird archive to /opt/. Make necessary permission change and run as a normal user. Should work...
I'm weird, damn
pshroff

Post by pshroff »

nope...same error again..

run-mozilla.sh: Cannot execute /usr/lib/mozilla/thunderbird-bin

for some reason run-mozilla.sh tries to execute thunderbird-bin in /usr/lib/mozilla and not the one the /opt/thunderbird/ directory. There's no thunderbird-bin in /usr/lib/mozilla/

Thanks for your help,

PS.
wheerdam

Post by wheerdam »

Do you have Mozilla installed on /usr/lib/mozilla for some reason?
I'm weird, damn
pshroff

Post by pshroff »

yes, it's there...i guess it contains the lib files for mozilla....i actually tried moving it and then running thunderbird again...this time it gave the following error...

./thunderbird: line 120: /usr/lib/mozilla/run-mozilla.sh: No such file or directory
./thunderbird: line 120: exec: /usr/lib/mozilla/run-mozilla.sh: cannot execute: No such file or directory

thanks,

PS
wheerdam

Post by wheerdam »

Hmm... ./thunderbird should run run-mozilla.sh that is within the same directory, but it searches for the one in /usr/lib/mozilla for some reason. Have you checked your environment variables? ($set)

Other than, I really have no idea...
I'm weird, damn
pshroff

Post by pshroff »

Yup...you were right....there was some MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME variable set to /usr/lib/mozilla...don't know who set it....i unset it and ran thunderbird and it seems to have worked!!!

Thanks alot!!!

PS
wheerdam

Post by wheerdam »

No prob :)
I'm weird, damn
killkenny55

noob

Post by killkenny55 »

im a n00b at linux and have no clue what your talking about but if someone could give me the n00b version on how to install it that would be great.

Thanks
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

killkenny55,
Rather than dragging up a topic from 2003 in a dead forum, please start a new topic in Thunderbird Support. Be sure to put Linux in your subject line. Thank you.