Help with tabs

Closed Forum
knewbee

Help with tabs

Post by knewbee »

Hi, I'm a lifelong user of Int Explorer trying to escape the clutches of Microsoft. First step was downloading Mozilla 1.4, but can't get the "Back" button to work when I link outside my home page. That is, as long as I link to other pages on home site, back button will work, but going to a site outside home page, it will not work. Only option is to close Mozilla completely. I have a feeling this has to do with "tabs" browsing, but can't seem to get my head around it. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
xfranky

Post by xfranky »

That has surely nothing to do with tabbed browsing... tabbed browsing is the way you can navigate through different sites at the same times in the same browser window... Whether a new tab is opened (ctrl + t) a 'tab bar' is shown.
This seems to be something different. Could you be more specific?
..::XF::..
knewbee

Post by knewbee »

When I open Mozilla and go to my home page, I can go to other pages on that site, then work my way back to home page with the Back button. If I go to another site, I can't go back to home page because the Back button is greyed out and unusable. The only way I can go back to previous sites visited is to close Mozillla then re-open it.
HC Andersson

Post by HC Andersson »

knewbee: I'm really don't know what you are doing wrong. My advice to you is: go to http://www.mozilla.org and download MozillaFirebird v0.6.1.

If you still find it troublesome to surf the web come back here and we will try to help you. PS: Mozilla Firebird is much better than Mozilla when you are used to IE.
Running the latest official Firefox build on an eMac 1GHz system.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

knewbee wrote:When I open Mozilla and go to my home page, I can go to other pages on that site, then work my way back to home page with the Back button. If I go to another site, I can't go back to home page because the Back button is greyed out and unusable. The only way I can go back to previous sites visited is to close Mozillla then re-open it.

When you go to another site on the same tab, the back button is greyed out? That's odd. Does the same thing happen with Firebird 0.6.1, too?
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
knewbee

Post by knewbee »

daihard, I don't have Firebird, but will do what HC ANdersson suggested and try it out. Will post back with results. Thanks for replies.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

knewbee wrote:daihard, I don't have Firebird, but will do what HC ANdersson suggested and try it out. Will post back with results. Thanks for replies.

Good luck. :D
knewbee

Post by knewbee »

Okay, I uninstalled Mozilla 1.4, downloaded and installed Firebird. After an hour of browsing, everything went well. It even blocked a popup. But eventually the same problem happened when I went to Hotmail to check my account. I opened a newsletter that I subscribe to. In the newsletter was a link to a story on the site. When I clicked the link, it went to the page, with the usual reminder at the top of the page: "You are visiting a site outside Hotmail. To return to Hotmail, close the browser window." When I closed the browser window, I was back at my desktop. The Hotmail window was gone as well. With Internet Explorer, the Hotmail window would still be there.

Tonight, with Firebird, this only happened with the Hotmail site. With Mozilla 1.4, it would happen with other sites as well.
knewbee

Post by knewbee »

By the way, I'm using Win 98 SE with every update (up to a couple of weeks ago anyway). Also, I liked what I saw of Firebird, hope I can get to use it permanently.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

knewbee wrote:By the way, I'm using Win 98 SE with every update (up to a couple of weeks ago anyway). Also, I liked what I saw of Firebird, hope I can get to use it permanently.

Hmmm... that doesn't happen to me. I open my Hotmail inbox using Firebird, and then click a link in one of the messages which opens a new Firebird window, with the Hotmail frame at the top. I close that window. This main window is still intact.

It could be due to the different OS. I am using Linux.
knewbee

Post by knewbee »

Is there an option somewhere that I'm missing, something like, "Open links in new window" or something like that?
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

knewbee wrote:Is there an option somewhere that I'm missing, something like, "Open links in new window" or something like that?

If you're using the Windows build, right-click on a link. You'll see the context menu that includes "Open Link in New Window."
knewbee

Post by knewbee »

Just tried it, still doesn'nt work. Ended back at desktop. Also, just before your last post, I manually opened two separate windows, that is, I minimized one window, opened Firebird again in a second window. When I closed one window, both closed and I was back at desktop.

There must be something buggy with my system, though it doesn't affect IE. I found a worm a few weeks ago, since removing it I've had a couple of minor glitches. Maybe this is another one. Too bad, I was looking forward to dumping IE...
flii

Post by flii »

do you know how to reinstall your os? even better yet, reformat your computer. another ok solution is to run a diagnostic program, like norton utilities (windoctor i think) on your drive. reinstalling 98 should work, though, if you're ok doing that.
knewbee

Post by knewbee »

flii,

I have never reinstalled OS before but I'll have to give it a whirl. If it doesn't work I'll reformat, which I have done. Thanks for replying.