Mozilla 1.4 won't launch

Closed Forum
olegliber

Mozilla 1.4 won't launch

Post by olegliber »

I've been using 1.3.1 for some months, and tried to upgrade to 1.4. I uninstalled 1.3.1 having downloaded the 1.4 installer. I double click on it and it appears to install, various windows of different sizes rapidly appearing and disappearing. A window with 2 progress bars is the last I see, which says that it's installing navigator and various other things, ending with Talkback at which point it stops quite suddenly, although disk activity can still be heard intermittently. The receiving folder seems to contain all the software (although how would I know it was complete?). And a shortcut has been put on the desktop. But nothing happens when I double click to launch. I've done this several times, always uninstalling first, and I've checked that the GRE folder has been deleted. The result is the same every time. I've even reinstalled the OS (XP professional) - no difference. If I can't fix this, I'll have to think again about Mozilla, which I really don't want to do, but I'm very frustrated - lost half a day I can't afford. Please help :-(
tenmar

me too

Post by tenmar »

I am having the same problem. I did not uninstall 1.31 before I tried to install 1.4. I got most of the install then it just went to Talkback and said it had a problem installing. I uninstalled 1.3, rebooted and reinstalled 1.4 but got the same message.

I cannot run Mozilla now and hope someone has a solution.
Thx
tenmar

here's the solution

Post by tenmar »

:D Go into the Program Files folder and find the Mozilla.org file. Either rename it mozilla.old (as a precaution) or delete it and then do the install for 1.4 again. When I did this (as suggested by my son) it worked and installed with no problem.

Good luck,
Tenmar