MozillaZine

Why Volunteer for Mozilla???

Closed Forum
jbaker6953

Post Posted March 11th, 2006, 1:35 am

With all the speculation about the amount of money Mozilla is receiving from sources they refuse to identify and being used in ways they refuse to disclose, why should members of the public continue to volunteer their labor for a for-profit entity? The argument that it's to get a better browser is specious. Why not volunteer to work at Ford for free so you can have a better truck, or why not work at Wal-Mart for free so you can have a better shopping experience.

I am highly suspicious of a company that is receiving tens of millions of dollars (according to Mitchell Baker), but does not disclose where that comes from and where it goes. Mozilla is making millions off of the free labor of the community. I stopped all work in Bugzilla and I no longer test nightly builds or report problems with Talkback. They can pay me if they're going to use my work to make themselves money.

Post Posted March 11th, 2006, 3:38 am

I can't agree with you. In my opinion, as long as a company's product is open source it is literally impossible for them to be evil. If they ever give in too much, do anything that makes their browser a pain to use, then somebody will take the source and make a program that isn't annoying, and eventually everyone will switch.

Google has eighty batrillion dollars right now because of the stock buying lemmings, so they're giving it out to everybody. I don't see how it hurts anyone if they give some of that money to people who may put some of it towards working on the browser.

greenknight

Post Posted March 11th, 2006, 3:55 am

Mozilla is not a for-profit entity, Mozilla Corp. is wholly owned by the non-profit Mozilla Foundation. Any money it makes must be put into development of Freeware. With the increased resources, they're trying to produce new versions at a much faster clip than before.

If you don't want to volunteer, then don't. But don't go around implying that Mozilla is run by crooks unless you have some information to base that on.
Win 10 Home x64, Linux Mint 19.1 MATE x64, AMD A8 5600K APU 3.6 GHz (3.9 Turbo), AMD Radeon HD 7560D (integrated graphics). G.Skill Ares DDR3-2400 (running at 1866) 8GB, Firefox 84.0.2, Developer Edition 85.0b9 (Win only), Nightly 86.0a1x64 (Win), Nightly 86.0a1 (Linux AMD64) .

Old Greg S

Post Posted March 11th, 2006, 7:05 am

jbaker6953 wrote:With all the speculation about the amount of money Mozilla is receiving
Speculation is, well just that, speculation.

jbaker6953 wrote:Mozilla is making millions off of the free labor of the community.
Besides, why should anyone care how much money they make? I know I don't. Just because something is non-Profit doesn't mean that people shouldn't or can't be paid for a job they are doing.
Results 1 - 30 of about 77,900,000 English pages for non-profit employment. (0.22 seconds)

jbaker6953 wrote:I stopped all work in Bugzilla and I no longer test nightly builds or report problems with Talkback.
I'm sure Mozilla appreciates all the troubleshooting you've done with your 3 post's on the forum.

jbaker6953 wrote:They can pay me if they're going to use my work to make themselves money.
Here is where I'm kinda thinkin your "work" was done because you wanted something in return, not because you wanted to do it to be helping out

Return to Miscellaneous Support