Command line web page thumbnailing?

Closed Forum
Neilmoz

Command line web page thumbnailing?

Post by Neilmoz »

Hi, I'm wondering if it's possible to use the Gecko layout engine to create a thumbnail of a web page from the command line without X or any GUI running.

I am looking to have this script running on a server where users will be able to see thumbnails of their own sites as a diagnostics tool, I've seen scripts that use Gtk to open a window before taking a screenshot but I need all of this done on the command line.

Does anyone know if this is currently possible or if I'm coming at this from the right angle?

Thanks,
--Neil
trolly

Post by trolly »

Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
Neilmoz

Post by Neilmoz »

Thanks for the link unfortunately it's a Linux server I'm running here an it looks like that thread is Windows specific.

I dearly hope this isn't something that is available on Windows but not on Linux :)
trolly

Post by trolly »

Perhaps you have to make your own application around Gecko.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.

Post by Guest »

Hi this is what I am expecting, however like I say so far all I've seen is examples running on top of X using Gtk windows.

What I'm asking is if it actually possible to have Gecko render a page without X or any desktop environment running, that is, can I have Gecko render a page on the command line remotely on a server or does it _have_ to display the page in an X environment?
trolly

Post by trolly »

I guess this is better discussed in the 3rd party builds forum. Perhaps they can help here. I'm no dev and i do not know how Gecko works.
robertlight

Post by robertlight »

I am also looking for such a beast.... a command line tool that allows me to render an http request (sort of like a graphical "wget").
Linux base is desired. Headless is less critical
jamar

Post by jamar »

jollyagp

Post by jollyagp »

Another way would be to use mono and gtkmozembed.
A sample is provided here:
http://svn.myrealbox.com/source/trunk/g ... rp/sample/