Can the Mozilla ActiveX Control be used as a browser engine?

Composer, ChatZilla and other Mozilla applications, along with Netscape, Galeon, K-Meleon and other products.
DarkPhoenix2010

Can the Mozilla ActiveX Control be used as a browser engine?

Post by DarkPhoenix2010 »

I am designing a browser in Visual basic 2008. I recently went to the VB forum and asked if there was a browser engine (Free or Open Source) I could use with VB 2008 - instead of my browser just being an internet explorer shell.. I wanted it to have it's own engine. I said this in the post.

The response I got was to use the Mozilla ActiveX Control. Is this correct?

It seems to me this is a control that mimics the functionality of the IE ActiveX Control but is not a browser engine in itself.

If I cannot use the Mozilla ActiveX Control to do this, does anyone have any idea on what I could use that will work with Visual Basic 2008?
DarkPhoenix2010

Re: Can the Mozilla ActiveX Control be used as a browser engine?

Post by DarkPhoenix2010 »

I found my answer. If you want to write an app or browser in Microsoft Visual Basic ( Or any MS .NET based language) then you can use GeckoFX to give your app its very own Gecko web engine. It uses XULRunner..

Imagine that.. an MS App running Firefox LOL. Hey.. app developers are not restricted to C++ anymore or whatever people are writing apps for Gecko with.

So folks.. if your a newbie and want an easy programming language to learn to make your own app that uses the Gecko engine you can use Microsoft Visual Basic 2008! There is even a Free Expres Edition!