Mozilla Drop Dead K-Meleon, Camino, Galeon

Composer, ChatZilla and other Mozilla applications, along with Netscape, Galeon, K-Meleon and other products.
ndebord

Mozilla Drop Dead K-Meleon, Camino, Galeon

Post by ndebord »

Without the ability to compile (Gecko embedding), Mozilla has effectively killed off all open source derivatives. I guess they don't like competition from operating system specific Gecko offshoots. WebKit is now the only real open source provider, as Mozilla has gone proprietary, just like MicroSoft and Internet Explorer's Trident engine.
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
LoudNoise

Re: Mozilla Drop Dead K-Meleon, Camino, Galeon

Post by LoudNoise »

Actually, they didn't want to maintain the buggy embedding code. Should someone want to they could branch it off and maintain it.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

LoudNoise wrote:Actually, they didn't want to maintain the buggy embedding code. Should someone want to they could branch it off and maintain it.

As Galeon (pretty much dead), Camino and K-Meleon are user supported browsers, your suggestion is a nonstarter. Read the posts in Camino for details.
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

I have been reading them.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

ndebord wrote:
LoudNoise wrote:Actually, they didn't want to maintain the buggy embedding code. Should someone want to they could branch it off and maintain it.

As Galeon (pretty much dead), Camino and K-Meleon are user supported browsers, your suggestion is a nonstarter. Read the posts in Camino for details.

I see a pile of "The sky is falling" FUD but no real concrete put your money where your mouth is solutions. I would imagine K-Meleon will continue as it's small and flexible enough to make the change and it is up to the Cameno devs as to the direction they wish to take. There does come a cutoff point in maintaining all old code. Are you going to pay for ten devs to maintain antique code?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

All the derivative Gecko browsers that did not want to use a one-size fits all XUL/XPI language and went for OS specfic APIs instead will have no choice but to move off the Gecko platform. You are disingenuous if you think that user supported browsers like K-Meleon, Camino and Galeon (if it still exists) can manage to do what Mozilla had trouble doing without that long-term monetary support they got from Google for the past several years (ends sometime this year). WebKit is where it is at I think. As for Mozilla? Their bad.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

I am not being disingenuous, I was merely commenting on your quote "as Mozilla has gone proprietary". BS, the code is there and free if someone wants to maintain it.

As you note, it isn't likely to happen. Also, as you note, Mozilla had trouble doing it. I am assuming they decided stop to wasting money on something that wasn't worth it.
Post wrangler
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Wasn't worth it. Perhaps in pure dollars and senses and perhaps if you don't much care for non-XUL Gecko browsers, but that is a discussion not worth pursuing here.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Then way did you start it? :)
Post wrangler
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Sorry, I wasn't clear before. I was responding to "I am assuming they decided stop to wasting money on something that wasn't worth it."

And the words I should have said are this: "that is a discussion not worth pursuing here" ANY FURTHER. As Mozilla has kicked the derivatives that don't use XUL/XPI to the curb, in a year or so, when FF 3.6.xxx is dead and gone, all will have moved elsewhere. Elsewhere means WebKit if you want OS specfic APIs.

The omnibus XUL, one codebase fits all operating systems philosophy of Mozilla will have the Gecko playing field all to themselves with no scrappy Gecko competitors of any stripe left standing.

I go back to Lynx, Cello, Mosaic, Netscape and my first pride and joy, the Mozilla Suite, forced to lose its name to the parent org and become Seamonkey, or as I call it still Allizom. I worked in the computer magazine industry, among other trade pubs for years and I've seen the open source movement grow from its inception to its current robust state, while watching some of the early stalwarts fall by the wayside or forget their roots: Mozilla, sadly, has forgotten its roots imo.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Various Linux distro's have been forced by lack of resources to drop support for ancient code over the years. Does this mean they have sold out as well or like Mozilla do they have to do what they can withing the limits they have? Or could it be you don't care about anything open source that does not directly affect you?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

The feeling I got from reading different sources was that the embedding code had not been updated in a long time and was very buggy. I think because of that the vast amount of work on updating these browsers lies in fixing the Gecko stuff to work correctly already. It's unfortunate, I think especially for Camino that this will no longer be possible, but there's nothing stopping people from developing XUL-based browsers/applications out of Firefox such as SeaMonkey, SongBird, Instantbird etc.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/