customHeaders (prefs.js) not working Netscape 4.79

Composer, ChatZilla and other Mozilla applications, along with Netscape, Galeon, K-Meleon and other products.
sumguy99

customHeaders (prefs.js) not working Netscape 4.79

Post by sumguy99 »

This is Netscape Communicator 4.79.

I'm trying to add items that can be filtered while reading news (usenet) articles. The Filter Rules dialog window that comes up when editing / creating filter rules for usenet posts looks identical to the dialog window for email filters, except that the choices for filter-items for usenet is limited or locked to just 2 items (subject and sender).

Adding this to both prefs.js and liprefs.js:

---------
user_pref("mailnews.customHeaders", "Organization");
---------

Does nothing (ie - it does not cause "Organization" to appear in the list of filterable items).

If I manually add the intended filter rule to the group-specific .dat file, for example to alt.comp.anti-virus.dat:

---------------
name="dizum filter"
enabled="yes"
description="Delete the putrid stench from the lusers that post to usenet via dizum."
type="4"
action="Delete"
condition=" OR (Organization,contains,dizum.com)"
--------------

The rule shows up in the list of message filers for that newsgroup, but when I try to edit that rule, I get this pop-up window:

----------
Organization: Had been deleted from the global header list. Would you like to add it back for future use with old and new filters. (OK) (Cancel)
----------

Selecting (OK) then opens up the filter rules dialog window, where (again) the only 2 filterable objects are subject and sender. Organization still does not appear, even though it remains in prefs.js and liprefs.js.

Is this a known bug?

What is the "global header list" that is mentioned in the popup window? Is that a separate file?
sumguy99

Re: customHeaders (prefs.js) not working Netscape 4.79

Post by sumguy99 »

I see that these forums are as helpful as ever...
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Seriously? It was a pile of garbage when it came out and hasn't been maintained since 2008. The chances of more than one person using it now are zero.
And the code is so ancient and bit rotted no more recent fixes will work IMHO.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

sumguy99 wrote:I see that these forums are as helpful as ever...

How exactly would you like us to help? Find a machine laying around that would possibly install an ancient version of ancient unsupported software to figure out if what you've described is a bug that there's less than zero chance of being fixed... if it wasn't already fixed in some subsequent ancient unsupported release?

malliz wrote:Seriously? It was a pile of garbage when it came out and hasn't been maintained since 2008.

I don't think that particular branch of the tree has been supported since 2002.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

patrickjdempsey wrote:I don't think that particular branch of the tree has been supported since 2002.

I was being generous :wink:
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"